Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...all-time favorite musical artists.

The bottom of my top ten is pretty fluid - artists come and go and jockey for position there. But the top four is fairly solid, not much changes there. And so, without further ado...

1. Elvis
2. Waylon
3. Jimmy Buffett
4. John Denver
5. Bob Marley
6. Dwight Yoakam
7. Lyle Lovett
8. Luciano Pavarotti
9. AC/DC
10. John Lennon.

Bubbling just under the Top Ten are Frank Sinatra, the Beatles, Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, Alison Krauss, Johnny Cash, Gordon Lightfoot, Merle Haggard, George Jones, B.B. King, Flatt & Scruggs, Kiri te Kanawa and...well, I better stop before they're bubbling just under the Top Forty :).

Let's see YOUR Top Ten all-time favorite musical artists.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Lessee, just off the top of my head:

1. Warren Zevon
2. Tom Petty
3. Hendrix
4. Springsteen
5. David Bowie
6. Mott the Hoople
7. Meat Loaf
8. Lady Gaga
9. Mountain
10. Elvis Costello

I reserve the right to amend this as others occur to me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't listen to a lot of new music but I've heard a few Lady Gaga songs recently and was surprised that I liked them as much as I did. Tom Petty would also be very close to my Top Ten. I still haven't made the effort to listen to Zevon in depth and I need to. I have a feeling Ill like him a lot when I do. With most artists you have to get beyond the radio hits to discover their true depth of talent; this is certainly true of Buffett and John Denver. A year ago at this time Bob Marley would not have made my list simply because I'd never listened to much of his stuff.

What's your opinion of Bob Marley's music, Snake? Just curious to know.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
bestseller92v2.0 said:
I don't listen to a lot of new music but I've heard a few Lady Gaga songs recently and was surprised that I liked them as much as I did.
That's how I got started with her, too. Bought both her CDs and am waiting for the third to come out next week. Just last night I caught her 2-hour Madison Square Garden concert on HBO and am even more impressed. Those who say she has no talent have never seen her work. And work she does, hard and damn near nonstop, for almost the whole two hours straight, singing and dancing, and almost naked a good part of the time as well. Show obviously influenced by Alice Cooper, David Bowie, Madonna, Elton John, Rocky Horror, Elvis, Broadway, Ann-Margaret, Liza, James Brown, Tom Jones, and a few others--she's stolen from the very best and put her own unique spin on it all.

What's your opinion of Bob Marley's music, Snake? Just curious to know.
Haven't heard that much of it. Maybe a half dozen songs. Don't dislike it but wouldn't buy it or make any effort to hear any more of it. Doesn't seem to be my thing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't have thought Marley's music was my thing either, but then I gave it a try (mainly because Buffett had mentioned him in songs and in concert ad libs) and found myself under its spell. I think most people today, especially the young, look at Marley as just a laid back stoner, but, even though he did like the ganja - a lot - he was a superbly talented and very hard working artist. If you'd like to give the Rasta a try Id be happy to send you the Legend cd, which is probably the best Bob Marley "jumping off place".

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Given my decreased hearing ability after 40+ years of rockbands, AFVs, guns and old fashioned typewriters, heck I can't hear the words most of the current female singers are slinging out!

Deep voices, Johnny, Willy and Ray.

Geoff
Who says, pardon me, too much, but the only guarantee on the $3800 hearing enhancement device is, "You will pay the bill!" and it doesn't even replace my hearing protection.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Y'all tell....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts