Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Ruger MK III 4" Standard auto for the kids and I'm just delighted. The gun is everything I remember the Standard to be (it's been about 20 years since I had the Standard Model). It's much heavier than I remember and that may pose a problem. If it does, I can get a Pac Lite Receiver for it and the kids ought to be happy. And if I buy a Pac Lite, it WILL be threaded for quiet fun.

I do like the new magazine release and I'm really not COMPLETELY offended by all the other lawyer modifications. At the end of the day, the heart and soul of the Ruger Standard is still very much alive and well.

Now with that said...

In general, I consider the Ruger .22 Auto series to be the best .22 auto ever devised. It's not the nicest, it's not the most accurate, it's often the most reliable, and often the most durable. But when you consider the performance you get from these pistols, your dollar goes farther with a Ruger .22 Auto than with any other pistol (although the Buckmark is knocking on the door).

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
My first gun purchase (at the ripe old age of 20 as I was not from a "gun" family) was a MkII standard and a 10/22 rifle. I remember the old guy at the counter complimenting me on my "smart choice." I now have a 5" SS Target barrel MKII and I have never had any complaints with any of them. Some people grouse about the disassembly -- or more accurately the reassembly of the pistols but like anything else, once you get the hang of it, it's no big deal.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Interesting thought Kevin..

If the topic is limited to guns made today I would agree but if we go back to when it was new my vote would have been for the High Standard Sport King.

For some reason the Buckmark has never appealed to me but I have tried most of the current crop of plinkers and found no major gripes. Of them the only one I own now is a P-22 but it's a safe queen. My .22 plinking is almost exclusively done with a 1911 conversion unit- currently Tactical Solutions- or the Kimber Rimfire Super. That one specifically chosen because of the alloy frame and light weight and to teach grandkids until they were ready for a real gun.

But giving credit where it's due the pistol and 10-22 are genuine classics.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I just recently bought a Buck Mark, which I am very happy with. Nothing against the Ruger; they were available and I gave them a fair look. It was really a "six of one, a half dozen of the other" type of thing .. But the Buck Mark won out ... can't even really say why 'cept I wasn't interested in buying TWO semiauto .22s.
I also have a Walther P-22. Not sure of it's "safe queen" status right now ... but I have to say with the acquisition of the Buck Mark, the Walther is a lot less interesting to me than it was! :mrgreen: :wink:

Maybe ... I could get interested in the Ruger .... :ek: ... some time. 8)

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Kevin Gibson said:
In general, I consider the Ruger .22 Auto series to be the best .22 auto ever devised. It's not the nicest, it's not the most accurate, it's often the most reliable, and often the most durable. But when you consider the performance you get from these pistols, your dollar goes farther with a Ruger .22 Auto than with any other pistol (although the Buckmark is knocking on the door).
Hard to argue with any of that. Great value for the money.

I have a 5.5" MKII, but don't shoot it that much--lately, only about 500 rounds per year. Like Charlie, I mainly shoot one or the other of my.22 converted centerfires--1911, P35, or P.38. They're not as accurate as the Ruger, but for some reason they're just more fun.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have a 4 inch MKII that I recently cleaned for the first time. Got it used, decided to shoot it till it quit working. That was about 8 years back. Never quit working, I just got curious about the condition of the Ruger after a bunch of shooting.... :thumbsup:

Funny thing about the MKIIs, around here they tend to go cheap as used guns. Being a cheap guy, they tend to stick to my fingers when they are under 200 bucks.. :D

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Charlie, you mean there are other .22 pistols besides High-Standards?????

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Well yeah.. but not many

If you ever tell anyone I told you this I will deny it

When I was shooting bullseye and got pretty good at it... my scores were better with a Model 41

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s funny you say that. About 6 months ago, I went to shoot at a friends house and I brought my K-22 and was shooting pretty tight groups, or at least groups that pleased me. Then he handed me his S&W 46 and I cut my supposed “good” groups fully in half. Well, that just burst my bubble right there.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
That was back before the High Standard Military grip models were very common and the 41 just fit me better. From the Ransom Rest my 41 shot exceptionally well (well under an inch for 10 at 50 with good ammo) and even though the HS could too I wasn't about to change

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Finally got to shoot a Smith 41 a couple summers ago. It was just as accurate as everyone always says, and the trigger was especially nice. The grip felt better than I'd always thought it looked. Still, I just couldn't work up any lust to own one, even if I could afford it (which I can't).

I've always wanted one of the military-gripped High Standards, but as I don't shoot NRA bullseye, and it's not really a field/plinking pistol, I don't really have any need of one--not enough to pay what they bring, at any rate. Still, if someone offered me one at a hella good price, I'd find it hard to resist.

Till that happens, my humble Ruger will do anything "targety" I need to do with a .22 automatic.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Snake, I squirrel-hunt with one of my HS Trophies., they're as accurate as any rifle in the woods.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do most of my squirrel hunting with my K-22 anymore for the added challenge. I think I'll take this new Ruger at some point, because it's a good shooter also and quite capable of hitting such a small target.

I don't believe any of the Ruger .22 autos have match chambers, but regardless of that, they really tend to shoot exceptionally well.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Many moons agone, I traded a Ruger MK I standard with four magazines and a 5 1/2" Super Single Six with 2 cylinders, both with original boxes et al., even up for a T-514 Stainless bull barrel Mk II. Ya know, I miss the old Standard.

I'm currently shooting the P-22 but I do not like the safety system, to render safe, apply safety, insert magazine, pull trigger....what could go wrong? :shocked:

Has anyone else heard about a P-22 in DAO? Supposedly a S&W Rep in for a major S&W sale at the biggest dealer in Jacksonville FL mentioned it in passing.

I have been told the form factor of the P-22 and PK-380 are selling well.

Geoff
Who likes the form factor but the gun is a bit wide, even for the .380 ACP.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
For a good plinking/informal Target, banging around rimfire, the Rugers are okay. Truth be known I've owned two of them, a 5" bull-barrel MkII and I tried one of the 22/45s. they almost got there with the 22/45, grip frame angle was the same as a 1911 but, they should have taken a hint from HS and made it the same thickness. Way to thin to feel right in my paw.

Thing I hated about them was taking the damned things apart to clean//maintain. Pure pain in the keister.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Al Thompson said:
Keep a careful watch on your P22 slide. I've seen two of'em break at about the 5k mark. :shock:
Roger that, before and after each shoot and more carefully when I clean it. Mine is a newer gun and a rental range has one of similar vintage over 10K.

Geoff
Who is as paranoid as the law allows.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Retmsgt. said:
Thing I hated about them was taking the damned things apart to clean//maintain. Pure pain in the keister.
Every Ruger I've owned had some sort of "gotcha" in their takedown/assembly procedures. I have to wonder if they were designed in, on purpose. :?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts