Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a fan of the KISS philosophy, but I also think it's important to be able to mount a flashlight on a weapon. I don't want to use a fully railed forend though. Tried it, and while it looks "cool", I found it added too much weight and was not very ergonomic. I've seen pictures of what look like standard handguards with a short rail segment (1.5-2") at the front of the HG offset at an angle to clear the front sight tower. Something like that would be perfect for mounting a Streamlight pistol flashlight (or equal). Has anyone seen/tried a setup along these lines, and if so, how did it perform? I'm wondering if this is a replacement handguard, or if the user is drilling a standard handguard to accept an aftermarket rail segment? If the latter, how hard is it to align the rail with the bore axis since the HG has a slight taper? If anyone can shed some light on this for me, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I have a set of rifle length M4 style (no taper) hand guards pre-drilled for the GG&G
Tactical Illuminator Forearm Mounting Rail - let me know if you are interested :thumbsup:

·
Registered
822 Posts
DH,

Here's another option - there's a lot of interest in mounting a light at the 12 o'clock position (forward of the FSB) these days. Quite a few guys that I know are taking a hard look at Hahn Precision's "Forward Light Mount."

Click HEREand scroll down for a description and a pic.

Also, more and more friends of mine are finding the SureFire G2L (the LED model) to be a pretty good weapon light.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
H2O_Man said:
I have a set of rifle length M4 style (no taper) hand guards pre-drilled for the GG&G Tactical Illuminator Forearm Mounting Rail - let me know if you are interested :thumbsup:
Looks like the front end of a Bushmaster Dissipator.

I've got one, put a small mount for for my Streamlight M3 on the lower left side of handguard a few inches back from the front. From the shooter's point of view, it is about at the 8:00 position. That way I can control the light with my weak/support/left hand without blocking the sights.

If the weapon may be used by other-handed shooters, I suggest that the light may best be mounted near the 6:00 position; unless it gets in the way of something else.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Two options for your consideration:

1) A bayonet mount light mount (attaches with an Allen screw) and a SureFire X300 (or equivalent) with a remote pressure switch mounted at 6:00 (or there about) so that all you have to so is squeeze the forearm a bit to operate the light

2) Using the stock On-Off-Momentary switch (no remote pressure switch), mounted to your lower hand guard on a short rail segment just forward of where your hand natually rests but close enough to operate with your thumb or nuckle. I had this arrangement before opting for a larger light.

If weight is an important factor, FWIW the SureFire light, I have the X200, weighs the same or less than the 2 CR-123A's that power it.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. The GG&G mount is definitely the style I had in mind (thanks for the offer, H2O, but all I need is the mount). I'm leaning toward something compatible with the Streamlight TLR-1, since I already have one of those. Only real problem is that it's got the Glock rail adapter installed as that's where it lives 99.9% of the time, and most (all?) of the AR mounts are Pic rails. I'll have to see if the light will mount to a 1913 rail with a Glock rail adapter installed. Failing that, maybe the G17 needs an upgrade to a TLR-2, and I swap the adapter on the TLR-1... I was kinda hoping to have one light that could be "passed around" as necessary without tools.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a GG&G offset mount (for use with a vert. foregrip and a light with no remote pressure pad). It came with both a Glock and Picatinny base. If they can't fix you up with a Glock mount, you can have mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts