Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Been having some trouble with my current stock(keeps splitting behind the recoil plate).
Tried fixing numerous times...
There's a gun show this weekend and I'll probably look for a replacement stock.
Any suggestions on what to look for?
Here is my original carbine thread:
http://www.ambackforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

Just wondering what Mfr. should I try to stick with and what markings etc... should I look for (for the Carbine that I have)

thanks

t

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
RSG in the sling well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Are you looking for a USGI stock? What kind of condition do you want? I got a chewed up USGI one in my closet that I will work on if I get another USGI carbine. I wouldnt really worry. Any decent gun show will have Carbine stocks.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Not around here this summer. good wood is hard to find...all I saw at the Indy gun show was crap M2's and a guy with a Rock-Ola I cut that was so badly sanded it was a joke...he wanted 150 bucks for it :p

that's big money for kindling :wink:

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Kymas23 said:
Any decent gun show will have Carbine stocks.
...but will they be decent stocks? Not usually...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys,
Just a little update...
Got back from the show a picked up a pretty nice underwood stock.
No cracks, it does look lightly sanded, but still looks good.

I noticed that on the new stock that I got, the recoil plate fits very snug on the stock, unlike my old one. (not where screw goes in but where the recoil plate flange slides into the stocks slot)
This could have been why I was splitting the wood so much on my old stock.

Also picked up a M1 Garand bayonet (it's the uncut 10"), a cleaning kit for the Garand, And a stock magazine pouch for the Carbine.
:)

t

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
My big stock find at the show today was a so-so M2 and a beat to death old stock that some bubba had sporterized hacked on. I passed.

I did see a couple of Inlands and a NPM. The NPM and one of the Inlands were way overpriced, but the other Inland was in very nice shape. Dark green even park with little wear, tight muzzle & shiny barrel. $700 for the Carbine, an extra stock (both stocks were M2, not a plus for me) & 500 rounds of ammo. I was tempted, but my cash is all going towards a WRA Garand build ATM.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I think with wood, you just have to keep yours eyes open at gun shows...buying sight unseen on auctions is a crap shoot....these less than honest sellers will retaliate with abusive negative feedback if you leave it for them and they know you know this and will send sanded junk half the time.

You have to find the honest guys on auctions...folcmote, al-sam-bob, 81 mm, and a few others. :wink: but for gunshows I have been to this summer...no luck on wood. :cry:

I bring a buttplate with me to see if it overhangs and you can look at the mag well and tell pretty easy if it will be exposed. but one thing that is hard to tell sometimes is warping...My WRA is very nice but is badly warped...barrel channel will not line up. I didn't spot that!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Just a thought. . .
I have an excellent condition Inland high wood stock on my carbine (Saginaw with early features and almost all S.G. parts). I have been thinking of getting a nylon/plastic stock (before you shoot me for this sacrilidge; please continue to read). I have been thinking of this to preserve my current stock from the dings/scrapes/etc that come from using this gun as a truck gun. I won't care if the plastic stock of nearly destroyed or whatever damage happens to it. The gun is regulary stored under the back seat of a Quad cab Dodge (this brings up another question: Will I get struck by lightning for carrying a beautiful carbine made by GM in a Dodge truck :? ).

Asking for opinions on whether I should get a non-collectors wood stock or go with the plastic stuff. . . Actually want opinions not flames, but am wearing abestos underwear anyway.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
It looks like a birch M2 "potbelly" stock to me. There should be a selector switch cut on the left side near the top of the bolt.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for the oversized pic, next time I'll make it 650 or less. :wink:
Does anyone happen to have a close-up of the selector switch cut out?

Kinda sucks, everything fits tight(front band, hand guard, recoil plate...) and shoots excellent...

t

·
Registered
42 Posts
When the rifle is in the stock, look at the wood on the left side of the receiver next to where the left bolt lug fits. If there is a 1/8" gap about 1.25" long, that's the selector switch slot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts