Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are many topics related to this; however, I'm looking for personal opinions on which .22 to get him. He's almost 22 years old and a college student. He has minimal experience with firearms and most of that with pistols. I told him I'd get him an AR type or a .22. He wanted the .22 so he could shoot more (Plus I got his twin sister one of the GSG MP5 carbine clones in .22; she turned down the AR). He wants something relatively light weight and compact. This is a present for his 22nd B-Day. If I go fairly inexpensive, I can finally get an M1A for myself :thumbsup:
What guns would you'all recommend in the above circumstances.
I've got a base model 597 he can have if I don't make a decision. (Should I give him the 597 and purchase an AR in case the shooting bug finally bites him?)
I looked at a Walther G22, but heard bad things about it being picky about ammo.
I might be able to get another GSG (I haven't shot my daughter's yet; just got it yesterday)
It doesn't have to be "tacticool", but I want something he'd be proud to own and willing to shoot a lot.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. Light, inexpensive and reliable as the day is long. If he gets the itch, there is also a world of accessories and mods to give it just about any look he wants.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'm going to take him to several gun shops tomorrow to look around. I'll check back here right before we leave in case anyone else chimes in. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
There are also some really fun-looking lever-action .22s out there, for something a little different.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Of course, if you want your mind boggled, check out Rimfire Central http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

It is heavily weighted toward 10/22s (it could almost be called "10/22 Central :? ), but you can still find lots of information about other makes and models of .22 rifles.

·
Registered
149 Posts
V-Man said:
Should I give him the 597 and purchase an AR in case the shooting bug finally bites him?
This. :thumbsup:

Right now, the AR market is kind of flooded and demand is off, so there are good deals to be picked up out there. But if you wait till later and THEN he decides he wants one, it will be MUCH more expensive potentially to aquire one. Just get a good basic carbine; no bells or whistles, in a 1/9 twist barrel and if nothing else, hang onto it for future needs. (Also get some mags for it as well) If you've got a 597 that he can use for now, go with that (and maybe get yourself the M1A as well). Better to have them now, then to wind up wishing you had done so later IF there winds up another ban before January. :ehsmile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts