Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I am looking at the relatively new Remington 750 for a semi auto 308. I did a search and found that quite a few of you have picked up one Remington or another for around $750.00 but very little info on the actual Remington 750 rifle. The rifle would be for pig hunting and some target shooting so I am not looking for any kind of an assault rifle just something with a 4-5 round clip that I can take multiple shots with as little distraction as possible to the target in the scope.

I know that Browning is the [bad word redacted] but I would love to live south of that $1,400 price tag and be under a grand if possible.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

R-

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
I guess if you are looking for a pig gun a semi-auto is definitely a better option over a bolt action, but I don't think you'll find as much popularity with non-military semi-auto 308s. I'd suggest something like a Mini 30 for pig over a 308 semi-auto.

·
Premium Member
9,290 Posts
How about a CMP M1 Garand? 8 rounds of .30-06 at your finger-tips. Re-loading via en-blocs. The rifle will survive hog hunting, even if you and the hog have a close, personal, discussion.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Soda Pop said:
I'd suggest something like a Mini 30 for pig over a 308 semi-auto.
That Mini-30 is a nice looking rifle and 762 would be enough stopping power. It looks like it comes stock with like an 18" barrel (?) can you get say a 22"?

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
I don't think there are any production Mini 30s that are above 18 1/2 inch barrels. There are always custom shops, but I think 18" is plenty. I'm not a pig hunter but I would think speed and follow up shots are more common with pig hunting over deer. I see Ruger has the Mini 30 listed as being available with 5rd and 20rd mags. http://www.ruger.com/products/miniThirty/index.html

Much better balance for hunting than an SKS or AK IMHO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I ended up going with the Ruger Mini 30.

The reports that I have been hearing online about the Remington 750 have been basically down right terrible. The guy at the shop confirmed that. So... I jumped ship on that idea.

I really liked the idea of 308 but in the end 7.62 is a very serious round and has more than enough stopping power to get the job done.

I will try and see if I can post a picture when I get it all dialed in.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

CD

·
Registered
921 Posts
Cal-Duck said:
The reports that I have been hearing online about the Remington 750 have been basically down right terrible. The guy at the shop confirmed that.
I can't say for certain that the 750 is a bad rifle, but when I was spending a couple of weekends each year as a range officer at my old gun club, I saw a LOT of different rifles come through during deer hunting sight-in days. By far, Remington semi-autos had the highest percentage of difficulties . . . I'd say the percentage of Remingtons that were jammamatics ran well into double-digits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts