Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i am having trouble with tightness with the rear sites. i tightened them as much as i could and the peep still moves side to side. any help or ideas would be much appreciated thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
Tightening your sites won't help the peep.
Get a new sight cover and another sight aperture or two. By trying different apertures you can find one that fits more snug.
You can also get a NM aperture and stone it down til' it fits just right.
a cheap-o fix for temp is to take a rubberband and have it go around the aperture and your windage knob. Just a temp fix mind you.
There is another method of tightening the sight base that I've used on a Garand or two, but it's kind of advanced.
Lots of options :D

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
You can bend the sight cover and it will put enough pressure on the aperture to hold it center.

It takes a while to learn exactly how and where to bend the cover and if you keep bending the same cover over and over again experimenting with it you will ruin it.

I scewed up couple before I learned the correct way to do it but it would be hard for me to explain to you in writing how to do it.

You can by buy an entire rear USGI Garand sight from Coles for about $30 or so and it will useally be a much better and tighter than what you have.

Sometimes that is your best way to go.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Cornbread, I wish you had told me that earlier.

I asked and asked and nobody knew where I could get a new rear sight, so now my rifle is at Springfield.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
If you get it back and it still is not right go to

http://www.coledistributing.com/

They have the complete rear sights for $19.95 in good condition and $29.95 for one with an as new finish.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks, I didn't mean to come off rude. I looked for their site earlier and couldn't find it. Never would have found it if you didn't post the link.

So these sights come with everything I need? Price seems too good to be true.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
DanAK47 said:
So these sights come with everything I need? Price seems too good to be true.
They are complete.

I need one myself and since I live fairly close to Coles I am going to drive down there and get one in the next couple of weeks.

They have a lot of Garand parts and M-14 mags.

They are good people to deal with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts