Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing of folks getting hurt or even killed on these things, mostly due to flips or rolls.

Are folks just driving like dinbats or is there some flaw in the design from a safety standpoint?

owner: WarRifles.com

308 Holes Make Invisible Souls

"Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God"
........Benjamin Franklin

·
Registered
760 Posts
If you are referring to the little "ATVs" (All Terrain Vehicles), yes there are quite a few injuries attributed to their use.

The daughter of one of my co-workers was killed while operating one. She ran into a barbed-wire fence and her head was almost completely severed from her body.

Are folks just driving like dinbats or is there some flaw in the design from a safety standpoint?
Answer: Yes.

:!:

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Brian,

IMHO alot of the problems with 4wheelers/ATV's stem from mis-use or lack of proper training. Here in WV alot of deaths occur from people operating them on roads, riding multiple people on single rider units or underaged operators. I have a Honda Rancher ES 4x4 AT that I bought for the sole purpose of snow removal. I have a 4' snow blade mounted on it and in two seasons I have put over 100 miles on the odometer plowing my driveway and the road leading up to my house. (joys of rural living with no municipal services/snow removal).

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Exactly... and the problems are only compounded when the idjits don't wear any helmets.
They are not "unsafe" vehicles... they are just easily missused.
There are 2 units on the market now that are actually attractive to me... both 650 monsters that act more like small pickup trucks rather than ATVs.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
I have looked into "upgrading" to a 650, but with other things going on to drain my finances, it is low priority seeing as I only use it 4 months of the year.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Yeah, for an upgrade it might not be that worth while... but if you are buying your first units then the added cost are not that bad. One unit I was looking at was only about 500 more for one with the 650 engine. A Yamaha. So that's not too bad.
Spendy hobby living in the outdoors.
Truthfully a Quad is one of the last things I'd spend my money on.
I'd rather buy that gas powered AWD golf cart with the HUMMER looking body on it. If these things are just used as micro trucks - might as well get a micro truck. Not as spry, but safer because your less likly to act the fool on one while gaining a lot more usable utlity.
I don't need a bin on the front of a quad to hold my wallet and cell phone. I want to store my junk. Everything I need. That means a huge Coleman full of Cold Ones, comfy Big Boy folding chairs, and lots of food.
Oh, some ammo and guns would be cool too, but priorities first.
8)

·
Registered
418 Posts
IMHO the leading causes of death are operating while intoxicated. Followed by stupidity. Then overestimating riders abilities. I've been riding since the '80s. I've had my close calls. All amoung the above list.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mad Ogre said:
Exactly... and the problems are only compounded when the idjits don't wear any helmets.
They are not "unsafe" vehicles... they are just easily missused.
that sums it up pretty good. these are atleast 400(4x4's go much heavier) pound machines that easliy do 70-80 mph. factor in ANY kind of stupidity and the conditions are ripe for injury or death. they are NOT just common play toys.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I don't necesarily think their "unsafe", just "unforgiving". My 14 yr old son had a nast accident on an older Honda 350 4x4 last year. He was riding across a field and didn't see the little ditch that was covered over by bent grass. The 4 wheeler flipped completely over. His helment was cracked but all he sufferred was a dislocated shoulder. This was a case of inexperience - he didn't know enough to know that the area he was in was a good place for a small ditch even though you couldn't see it very well.

I think the biggest problem with them is that riders don't consider them "dangerous". For example, most dirt bike riders I know don't hestitate to wear protective clothing. It seems like most people think that a 4 wheeler is inherently safe. What shocks me is seeing 10 year olds roaring down paved roads at speeds over 50mph! When I mention this to the parents, they just shrug and say that they know their child is careful and they're not worried. :?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 600 Honda. Am looking forward to using it....my nephew borrowed it when it was about a month old and flipped it(did not hurt it much, just some scrapes on the pod). He hit a ditch. Are very safe if u ride right. And protective equipment is a must if u ask me, no matter how hot or bothersome it can be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also, live in central Kentucky...Can anyone suggest good riding places?? Have some private land to ride on....was wondering about ATV parks or large pieces of private or public land.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts