Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why bother or go for it? Which is the way to go? LRB or Fulton Armory? Both are well over $2000 depending on options.

·
Registered
28 Posts
LRB!

LRB all the way! The only ones up to GI spec (or at least the closest). The difference in cost will probably be saved as it will not require extra work by your smith to make everything fit when it is out of spec. Fulton receivers are rebranded Armscorp receivers which are notorious for having problems. I know its a long wait for the LRB (I am waitng myself) but will be well worth it in the long run......

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
preban,
While I will not disagree with crang11 about the LRB being the ultimate in civilian M14 receivers, I WILL argue with him about Fulton receivers being out of spec.
My first M14 is an Armscorp NM that did suffer from incorrect geometry.
Clinton McKee of Fulton fixed that for me (long story) and it is now the most accurate rifle I own. I have shot 1/4" groups with it from the bench.
My second M14 is one of Clint's: a Fulton Armory "standard" grade although with plenty of mods such as unitized gas system, NM sights and trigger, ect.. It, too, is a wonderful rifle. It is NOT out of spec. I trust Fulton to deleiver as promised. I also have their Garand and M1 Carbine. I am willing to pay the price for a correctly-built rifle. Both LRB and Fulton will do this for you~~the difference is the LRB has the forged (hence stronger) receiver, but the Fulton receiver is no slouch.
Neither is a Springfield receiver...or a Polytech...or a Norinco...

--BushRat--

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked out LRBs web site, it seems they are out of stock and are making some changes.

LRB is the direction I am leaning, I got to look at and fire one this weekend. Nice fit and finish!

·
Premium Member
9,290 Posts
The Rack Grade rifle from Fulton is every bit as well fitted and finished as anything that you'll buy. The Match Grades live up to their description, as well. The Armscorp receiver that Fulton uses has a slightly different geometry as the standard Armscorp product. I haven't heard of a lot of Armscorp problems in the last couple of decades, and we used to live within five miles of Fulton, and twenty miles of Armscorp. I've seen a LOT of these rifles on the range that functioned without problems.

LRB doesn't need anyone's "I heard" stories to stand on their own, though. They are quality pieces. However, cast receivers are just as good for the average user. I own a Class 3 M1A from SA, built in 1986. It has well over 11k rounds through it without measurable wear. That's a pretty solid recommendation in itself. A forged receiver is ultimately stronger in regards to a catatrophic failure, but there are an awful lot of us who've never suffered one of those.

Both LRB and Fulton use all USGI parts in their weapons. You pays your money, and takes your pick. See the current issue of Small Arms Review for a test on Fulton's Rack Grade M14. :D

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
If a reciever is out of spec it will be known to be out of spec if the person building the rifle knows what he is doing.

If Fulton or LRB is building you a rifle no matter who made the reciever you can be sure that an out of spec reciever is not likely not be found on the rifle.

During the process of building the rifle if something is not right about the reciever it will not be used. If it is one of theirs they will throw it away and get another one. If you supplied the reciever they will ask you to send another one.

Ayone no matter how good they are can make a mistake but unlike SA INC the people building the rifles at Fulton and LRB know what they are doing and they care about how well the rifle turns out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QTIP223 said:
PREBAN 336, HOW DID THAT SPRINGFIELD WITH TRW BARREL SHOOT? JUST CHECKING! :D
I have not gotten a chance to fire it yet. It is so clean I may not shoot her for a while. I put her in a presentation grade GI issues Walnut stock from freds.
I did fire one of my earily 18K ser# range SA M1As last weekend. Other than a few cases being thrown against the side of the rifle causing a few marks it functioned perfectly. The extractor may need looked at however.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've owned several M14 types over the yrs (10) currently...my observations to in spec and quality finished receivers are as follows:

best to worst

LRB M14SA
SA M1A
POLY M14S
FULTON M14
Armscorp

I won't buy anything else unless its an LRB

my .02

RED DOT

·
Registered
23 Posts
I OWN a LRB

Everyone is toughting LRB as being USGI spec. I had a conversation with Ron Smith, and he did not necessarily think so. Best available? Yes, but not USGI by any means.

·
Premium Member
9,290 Posts
The receiver has to differ from The original M14 receiver, or BATFE will catagorize it as an M14, and ban it under the 1986 McClure-Volkmer Act.

It is not a MilSpec receiver.

You have seen some people's choice, and that's their OPINION, not a fact of anything.

If any of these "experts" should actually have a comparison of the core dimensions of the Fulton, LRB, Armscorp, SEI, etc., etc., receivers vs. the original Mil Spec core dimensions, let them bring them forth. Otherwise, it's all conjecture. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
JR

JR, concerning the out of spec receivers, here is what led me to post. My LRB ocasionally will not feed from the left side of the magazine. I have one of Ron Smith's extended bolt releases. Ron very flattly said to me that the release is 100% USGI Milspec compatable. The part is NOT the problem. The problem is that LRB did not machine the cut on the side of the receiver deep enough. It is out of spec, and thus the extended bolt release cannot go "in" far enough to function with 100% reliability. Ron says he now always has to check this dimension when doing a build. So this is conjecture? Call him and ask him. I have no dog in this fight.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
All my research indicates the receiver that is closest to USGI
Milspec geometry is the forged Chicom Norinco & Polytech.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It's all kinda moot right now anyway since both LRB and Fulton are out of stock and back ordered on receivers. It'll be awhile before they have them and get caught up enough to offer stripped receivers, and from what I have read LRB may only offer stripped receivers to a very limited number of people.
If you read Warbird's site or ask him direct I think you'll get a more accurate answer than from pretty much anyone else on the board as to which receiver is "better".

·
Premium Member
9,290 Posts
bosshoff, did the standard piece fit and function?

As for Mil Spec, the current receivers, to receive BATFE approval, must differ from that specification. The dismount notch must be relocated, there can be no place to weld the lug to convert to M14 automatic status, and some other specs must be altered. The closest to Mil Spec were the MKS receivers, and we all saw what happened with them.

NOBODY currently uses Mil Spec on receivers. They couldn't afford the testing and gaging that are required, and hope to sell the receivers to the public. Pull up the specs and read them, if you've got an hour or so. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts