Gun Hub Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
WayneCP01:

If I may, I'd like to suggest a cool, free, easy to use image sizing program. Did I mention it's free?

Download it at http://www.xat.com. It's a free download!

Of course, the free version is not as full-featured as the purchased one, but it is quite capable anyway.

Regards

EdWood

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Eight easy steps for the trigger spring

Okay, the first step is naturally removing the trigger housing so you can get to the parts inside. This is very easy, so don't hesitate to jump right in. Notes are in the Description area of the pictures.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Highwood & Lowwood comparison

The difference between what we call "Highwood" stocks and "Lowwood" stocks, is the thin piece of wood that covers the slide arm, or doesn't with the Lowwood. This wood cracked and broke off easily, so the manufacturers started eliminating it in the spring of 1944.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Push safeties

I've been getting a few questions about the difference between Type 2 & 3 safeties, so I finally made up a composite of the two so y'all can see the difference instead of talking about it. For those of you wondering about the others, the Type one has checkered ends while the Type 2 & 3 were plain face. The Type 4 is the flip or rotary safety which came into use in early 1945.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Carbine Club Data Sheet

With their consent/permission, we are posting the Carbine Club Data Sheet for your convenience. Feel free to save by right clicking on this picture and save it to your computer where you can print it out. :D

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Alternative to Data Sheet

RECEIVER: Type (with or without removable spring tube housing), finish, list all markings found on sides and bottom, any abnormalities too as with IP/S'G' receivers on the left rear, one or two disconnect notches, subcontractor markings and manufacturer/serial number of course.
REAR SIGHT: Type, markings & finish.

BARREL: Maker, date and proof marking, any other markings as on gas cylinder housing, barrel flat, etc. Note long or short skirt too, as well as swaged or integral gas cylinder housing.
FRONT SIGHT: Markings and Type, finish.
BARREL BAND: Type, all markings, narrow or wide aperture for Type one bands.
GAS PISTON: Some are marked on the end that protrudes.

STOCK: Type, note P on pistol grip and any rebuild markings on left side.
SLING BEVEL: All markings.
CARTOUCHE:
HANDGUARD: Type and markings.
RECOIL PLATE: Type, finish and markings.
BAND SPRING: Type and finish.
BUTT PLATE: Type and finish, markings if present.
SLING: Type, color and markings if present.
OILER: Type, finish and markings.
SCREW & ESCUTCHEON: Type, finish and markings if present.

OPERATING SLIDE: Type (including type of slide stop pin), finish and all markings.

BOLT: Type, finish and all markings.
FIRING PIN: Type, finish and markings.
EXTRACTOR: Type, finish and markings.
EXTRACTOR PLUNGER: Type.
EJECTOR: Type.

TRIGGER HOUSING: Type, finish and markings.
HOUSING PIN: Type.
HAMMER: Type, finish and markings.
HAMMER SPRING: 22 or 26.5 coils.
SEAR: Type, finish and markings.
TRIGGER: Type, finish and markings.
MAGAZINE CATCH: Type, finish and markings.
SAFETY: Type, finish and markings.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
30 Round magazine codes by Bill Ricca

US GI are as follows:

Upside down

A.I.
A1 M2

Normal markings

SEY
J
J
KI M2

A lengthly article will appear by JP Powers and me in the Carbine Club Newsletter in a few months. The A1 M2 is not covered in the article.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can you tell me if the type 3 ejector throws shells out to the right only or right and back. I am a left handed shooter and just picked up my first M1 Carbine and need to replace a bunch of springs and probably should rebuild the bolt to the best build suited for a lefty. Let me know if you have any suggestions on this and where to get parts.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts