Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a pristine 1944 M1 Carbine today (vacuum sealed since 1975). The owner tossed in some original mags and stripper clips plus some date stamped 1943/44 Ammo. The ammo is already on the stripper clips which leads me to suspect it was issued in this condition in WWII. I'm selling about 80 rounds on the stripper clips for $20 each, extra mags for $15 ea and NOS stripper clips for $8 each (seven of those). Oh, and the ammo is still serviceable, fired off 5 rounds of it today

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Congrats!
I have an M-1 carbine my father brought back from the Korean War. Originally he had maybe three to four 15 rnd. magazines and a pretty hefty bag of .30 carbine ammo that was all WW2 surplus. Most date stamped 44 or 45 IIRC.
During a move from Connecticut to Alabama my father accidently left a smaller bag of this ammo (it had been divied up inside the BIG bag for some reason) in a hotel room. I can only imagine the reaction of the maid when she came to fix up the room and wondered what the guest had left behind ......
I have the carbine today and still have a small portion of the ammo that my father had brought back those decades ago. I did shoot some of it but I won't shoot the remaining portion. Anyway I have stocked up on new manufactured .30 carbine so I don't need to expend the old stuff.
You might want to consider saving the WW2 stuff you have. It isn't amazingly valuable but it is a WW2 relic. New stuff performs exactly the same. If you get soft nose or hollowpoint ammo it will also be a more effective round.
What manufacturer made your carbine? Mine is Inland, which was a division of General Motors and that is the largest maker of the old carbine. That means mine is a run of the mill carbine which has no special collector value save for it's relatively good condition (and personal value to me as it was my father's). Some carbines have a higher value if they were made by one of the rarer companies.
Good luck with your carbine ....KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY!:D

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TG. that's so very kewl to have your dads M1. What a keep-sake that would be! My dad served in Korea as well but was on a ship. So all he brought back was junk like I did when I was in...
I paid a pretty penny, $1100, for this one but it's mint. No dents, scratches or rust and the bore is perfectly clean. Its manufactured by Standard Products so it too is nothing super special except the condition for being a "44".
The guy tossed in 500 rnds, 20 mags, 40 strippers and some tracers. So I think I did ok. He let me shoot it off his deck into the river here and I vaporized several passing leaves..lol It's dead on!;)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a bad deal RF2 alot of M1 carbines are going for about that price without ammo

Military Rifles US For Sale
I thought so, I've kind of been watching several sites and after seeing the condition this one was in, just couldn't pass it by. I just got back from shooting it with the grandson. We put 200 rounds through it. FLAWLESS. and 80% of the ammo was date stamped 1952. The rear sight seems to be a little loose and slides out of its rail. Any suggestions anyone? It looks like maybe a punch might set it but I'm afraid to mar it.:confused:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Rear sights on M1 carbines were staked in place by GI armorers. so you probably won't hurt it any by doing that.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Rear sights on M1 carbines were staked in place by GI armorers. so you probably won't hurt it any by doing that.
What Bearcat said.I luv my M1 carbine the best of all just about out of all my rifles except maybe the M1a;it's the lack of recoil that makes it so fun ;)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to know! Thanks all. Yep, I'm thinking next to my MP15 it's a pretty close call. Although the M1A is very sweet as well. I like my Nagant for its cost of use but man it kicks like a mule...

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
"The rear sight seems to be a little loose and slides out of its rail."--RatFink

My first carbine was a Rock-Ola (receiver and barrel) that was returned from Korea, back in the '90s. That thing shot so far left it was ridiculous. I thought the barrel may have been bent, but your comment got me to thinking the rear sight might not have been centered. Anyway, I swapped it for an ex-Austrian gun, which is an absolute straight-shooter.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea I didn't even notice it until I was cleaning it and it moved....hey, that's an old Seinfeld series..

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
"The rear sight seems to be a little loose and slides out of its rail."--RatFink

My first carbine was a Rock-Ola (receiver and barrel) that was returned from Korea, back in the '90s. That thing shot so far left it was ridiculous. I thought the barrel may have been bent, but your comment got me to thinking the rear sight might not have been centered. Anyway, I swapped it for an ex-Austrian gun, which is an absolute straight-shooter.
Shep I have alittle bit of that problem with the Inland(R/6-8"@100yds) got new front and rear site no go.I started looking @ the reciever and barrel one day and the index's do not line up off maybe .005-.010 off only thing I can figure.I just left it alone and learned the quirks of the gun.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I finally got that first carbine sighted in by dialing the rear sight all the way over, but the chance to swap even for a much better carbine was too good to pass up (another story).

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Thats what I have to with mine Shep to get it right.I had a Universal as much as people like to poop-poop them was dead on and 2-3" groups @100yds if I remember.I sold it with a para stock for $500 years ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts