Gunhub.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yep. If you want to win the cup, you'll use a bolt gun, or an AR or a space gun. If you want to throw big lead far away, you'll use the Garand. If you want to be a tough ol' geezer, you'll use an '03. Room for everybody. :D

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Digger,

While the M1 may not still be popular at Across the Course events, it's still used by some people..... including ME.

Can I shoot a better X-Course score with a Matty Mattell toy..??? Sure. SFW. I LIKE the M1 and the M1 is what I'm going to shoot BECAUSE I like it. It's STILL a GREAT rifle, even if outclassed in purely competitive aspects.

I generally shoot well up in the Expert Class at the events I attend, occasionally placing or even winning Class. I have not yet been able to string 3 back to back 94%+ full course scores together needed to move up to Master, but it's only a matter of time till I do. The Master scores are coming..... just not 3 in a row yet....

If getting a Master rating was my goal I could've had it years ago by shooting the black rifle. Just going Master is not my goal. Going Master WITH AN M1 is my goal........ 8)

Not many people nowadays are doing that. In years past, of course, lots of shooters did, but that was when Men were Men and only kids shot .22's. :wink: It was also back when they shot the 5V target, which was not nearly as tough a nut to crack as today's 10X targets.

Anyway..... I am usually the only guy on the line at most events I attend that still shoots the old warhorse. More's the pity..... but hey, I'm having a GREAT time doing what I do and in the end, that's all that counts.

Just my 2 bits....

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever

owner Swampworks Inc. / JLK Bullets
http://www.swampworks.com

·
Registered
634 Posts
Swampy
sounds good to me useing a Garand. i wanted to ask do you use one right from CMP or one you well lets say tricked out or made up your self? i was thinking of a building one in 308 with all the best close to new parts i could find and NM parts too.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I started out in highpower with a Garand. I just practiced and shot local reduced course matches. When I started to get serious in highpower and shoot the full course I bought an AR.

I made expert my first year shooting the AR.

Recently I have went back to the .30 caliber and my scores have went down but I have a lot more fun at a match.

My goal for now is to shoot expert scores on a regular basis with the Garand and M1a and I think that before this season is up I will be able to do this.

As far as the Garand very few people shoot it anymore in NRA Highpower. The AR rules the line because it is so easy to shoot and because it is much cheaper to buy, shoot and maintain.

I see 16 year old jr shooters with AR's that shoot master and high master scores with the AR but if you give them the most accurate Garand made they can bearly shoot a Sharpshooter score.

They shoot poorly with it because they are not used to the recoil and they have never had to learn to build good solid positions. The AR has little recoil and you can get by without really strong positions and still shoot well. Also if you are used to the recoil of the AR the first shot out of the Garand will wake you up. :shock:

Because of my Garand experience I can sometimes beat the Masters and Highmasters in a Garand match because of their lack of .30 caliber experience.

One of these days I will go back to the AR and try to move up to master class but now I am having more fun than I have ever had shooting across the course using my .30 calibers and for me since I am having fun and learning to shoot a real rifle that is all that matters.

Too many people seem to take highpower so serious that they stop having fun.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Personally, I believe the Garand, properly set-up, is still competitive. It just takes alot more to be competitive against guys who shoot the ARs because of the guns, not the shooters. When I was still in the Air Guard, I could teach troops to shoot Expert scores in 1 hour with the M16A2. Granted, the Air Force course of fire was alot easier to shoot than Army or Marine Corp but, it's a very easy weapon to completely master. The Garand is another story.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
corvetted asks:
i wanted to ask do you use one right from CMP or one you well lets say tricked out or made up your self? i was thinking of a building one in 308 with all the best close to new parts i could find and NM parts too.
My Match Grade M1's came from the CMP, but Match Grades have to be built up from an issue grade rifle. You can see my two match grades here: http://www.swampworks.com/warships/SwampysStuff-Home.html

The SA that I built myself is the one I'm currently shooting in NRA and CMP-EIC events. The IHC is now relegated to short course and practice matches.
Just this very morning I did shoot the SA in a local shorty match. Slow prone was a 199-7x on the MR-31 target. That's the best I've ever done with any rifle on the MR-31 target. The 19 shots in the 10-X rings measured 1.688" center to center on the two widest. The single 9 was called out.

It's a shooter..... 8)

Cornbread writes:
Because of my Garand experience I can sometimes beat the Masters and Highmasters in a Garand match because of their lack of .30 caliber experience.

One of these days I will go back to the AR and try to move up to master class but now I am having more fun than I have ever had shooting across the course using my .30 calibers and for me since I am having fun and learning to shoot a real rifle that is all that matters.
I say, AMEN Brotha'........

Around these parts I rule the roost at the JCG events, even the Masters can't touch me cuz' they can't take the recoil of the .30 anymore.

Retmsgt writes:
Personally, I believe the Garand, properly set-up, is still competitive. It just takes alot more to be competitive against guys who shoot the ARs because of the guns, not the shooters.
Again, a big AMEN... !!!

As far as pure accuracy goes I don't give up anything to the AR shooters at 600. If I do my part I can hang in the low to mid 190's with no problem, and occasionally make a 196 or 197 show up. Where it all shows in the final score for me is the results of the rapids and standing. Poor standing scores are my own fault and no other. Rapid stages are recoil plagued, but hey, overcoming that is part of the game with the M1, and my familiarity with the heavier recoil gives me BIG advantage when the JCG matches come around.

Love the M1......

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever

·
Registered
232 Posts
I shoot mid master scores with the AR and mid-high expert with an M1. The score diff for me is offhand, hard to shoot a 10 pound M1 after being used to a 16 pound AR !

I started shooting HP with an M1 and later with M14's before going black. I still enjoy breaking out the M1 and shooting it at matches and have seriously considered going back once I go distinguished .

·
Registered
328 Posts
The others have already given some good answers.

I'm a (almost) complete newbie at competition, having done a few JCG matches so far.

That said, I've always wanted to go the Nationals at Camp Perry, and this year I'm doing just that.

I'll be using my DGR rebuilt SA for the Presidents, NTI, and JCG matches. I have an AR15 that is more accurate, but I MUCH prefer the ergonomics of the M1.

So, yes, with this competitor it is still popular.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If getting a Master rating was my goal I could've had it years ago by shooting the black rifle. Just going Master is not my goal. Going Master WITH AN M1 is my goal........
Me too! I have shot a couple of MASTER score just not back to back. I have fired a 471 with my JCG rifle 8)

I like to shot a M1 and thats why I do it. Dub out...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I"ve been an AR shooter in HP matches now for just over two years and was able to quickly get to Master status. My match M1a is about done and I'm moving to it for the fun factor too (that and my youngest son is laying claim to my AR). I am planning on building a match M1 someday to compete with it as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts