Gun Hub Forums banner

Got an M1 Thumb?

• What's that? (I don't even have a Garand yet!)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Does M1 index finger count? I was cleaning my Garand and noticed this little bitty piece of lint.. OUCH! :oops:

·
Registered
736 Posts
yep, I have. I was always real careful so it wouldn't happen. Then I was at a gunshow looking at a Garand when this older "Gentleman" removed it from my hands, looked it over and tried to get the bolt all the way back but couldn't. He then handed it back to me and said just push the guide down, which I did. End of saying I've never had Garand thumb.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Still carry the scar from my one and only inflicted in 1963. It was a GOOD one! :x

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yup....got it once....ONLY once!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Like most others....Not Yet.

Hope I can keep up the good record, but the way things have been going this past couple of weeks, I ain't even going to touch my M1 until the luck turns around. :-?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes sir!

I have been slammed but fortunately there was only minor damage done to my thumb. I didn't lose my thumbnail or anything like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
M1 Thumb

I had M1 thumb once! it happened quite unexpectedly. One thing I noticed on Saving Private Ryan was one of the actors must have been playing around with His Garand. I am not sure but I think it was the Upham character. Anyway in one scene I noticed one of the actors had an M1 thumb. Probably not intentional but it looked just like Mine did when I got it. Might have been the Jackson character I dont really remember.
Dave C

·
Registered
87 Posts
30Cal said:
M1 Thumb--who's got one?
yup. got not only 1 but 2, (right&left) happened 3 days apart, real embarrasing trying to explain to my significant other how to operate the op rod so i could get the blasted thing off my thumb!!!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not yet... but it builds character, just like the m1rifle!!

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Not yet. I'm sure it's only a matter of time though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think it only takes once, even for us stubborn, slow learners. :roll:

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Nope.. don't have one,, won't get one either... It's impossible for a Lefty to get one and if your Garand is running right you should never get one...

·
Registered
845 Posts
That would be a no. I have avoided getting one of those.

BM62

·
Registered
106 Posts
I Do Remember That

The pain is gone but the memory isn't. 1959, Itazuke Japan. Was at the range in Takamya, shot on the base pistol team at the time. Coach asked who wanted to sit out at 300 yards and shoot a National Match M1 Garand. Of course we all did so we loaded up ourselves with a string of clips, the weapons and proceeded to the line. Coach showed us how to load the Garand, guess I was a slow learner as the first clip in and my hand slipped and the bolt caught it square. Made it bit fat. Have a Garand on order from CMP now but you can be sure that I won't make the same mistake again.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I just got my first garand on Thursday. :D Got the M1 thumb on Friday. :oops:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts