Gunhub.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a M1905 16" blade bayonet marked UFH/ U (flaming bomb) S / 1942. It has the reddish-brown handles on it. It's a virgin blade, never had an edge put on it and 99% original finish overall. The scabbard is marked USN/MK1. Is the scabbard a kind of rarity? I've got a 9-42 M1 rifle that is a perfect match for the pair but I'd like to get the correct scabbard for the set. Why would the Navy have 16" bayonets? Why would they have bayos at all? Is this scabbard OK for Army issue?
Please pardon my ignorance and thanks to all any way.
Jon

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thats the type scabbard as issued in 1942 until the 10" M1 bayonet reached the front lines and replaced them. Those were used on the '03 and the Garand. I think the grips should be black plastic, and not reddish-brown. At the beginning of the war, 16" bayonets were just about all they had available as the 10" ones were being produced.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Musketjon, the reddish-brown grips are original for that time frame,also black ones are correct.
The USN/MK1 scabbard belongs to the 1905 type traning bayonet that was made of black plastic.
The correct scabbard has the flaming bomb logo with US stamped in the bomb.
But I won't be suprissed if quartermasters gave out the USN/MK1 scabbards with the metal bayonets if needed as repacement or in times of short supplies...
Hope this helps.

Rob :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts