Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were building an M14 or M1A what the difference? Is it preference on the stamp of the receiver, or the year parts that are to be assemble? Is it the price difference? Some people tell me an M14 is a fully auto and that you can't get it stamped M14 for a semi-auto. I just would like some imput on this? Thanks.

PEBTAC-Problem Exist Between Trigger And Chair

·
Registered
894 Posts
The m1a and new M14 reciever stampings are simply a model number of different comapnies. For instance M1a is a trade mark of Srpingfield Armory Inc. Fa M14 is a trade mark of Fulton armory. The reciever is one of preference many here are all about LRN lrbarms.com and the M14SA reciever. I presonally like fultons fultonarmory.com.

Now if your building a real M14 --good luck a real M14 costs somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10000 dollars and are very rare for civilian ownership all though there are a few lucky individuals here who have them.

--800mZero

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
true USGI M14s are full auto per ATF.

you can get commercial semi-aotu copies marked various ways. In NJ, "M14" is a no-no, so you just get the same thing marked M1A or M21 or whatever.

unless you want to spend many thousands on a full auto M14, you will be getting a commercial copy. there are actually a few to choose from, ranging from about $750 to the bottom of your wallet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
As stated earlier a real M14 receiver is worth big, big bucks. There is an action bar and selector switch that you will not see on the commerical receiver. These parts allow a real M14 to operate in a full automatic mode.

The Kelley's attempted to make a look a like version of the M14 with their receivers. Their receiver had a dummy selector switch and a modified action bar. The receiver could not be easily modified to full automatic, but these features were too close for the comfort zone of the BATF. They confisicated all of these receivers. I doubt anyone is going to try and make another look a like for a while.

Outside of the full auto parts the actions the civilians use have all the same basic parts, only differing in small details.

A M1a (generic term) is an entirely functional, accurate and reliable rifle.

If you plan to build one, well I recommend using as many GI parts as you can. New condition GI parts have served me well. I started with Springfield Armory receivers and used all GI parts (except for match sights, stocks, barrels and recoil spring guides) and I have never had a problem with my rifles.

The topic of who makes the best rifles or receivers is something that will cause much discussion.

·
Registered
894 Posts
SlamFire said:
The Kelley's attempted to make a look a like version of the M14 with their receivers. Their receiver had a dummy selector switch and a modified action bar. The receiver could not be easily modified to full automatic, but these features were too close for the comfort zone of the BATF. They confisicated all of these receivers. I doubt anyone is going to try and make another look a like for a while.
I was under the assumption that the kellys used rewelded Real USGI M14 recievers --- they they inscribed their name on the side or under the reciever heal. The reason they got nabbed was because they were using machine gun parts without proper atf approval.

--800mZero

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
800mZero said:
SlamFire said:
I was under the assumption that the kellys used rewelded Real USGI M14 recievers --- they they inscribed their name on the side or under the reciever heal. The reason they got nabbed was because they were using machine gun parts without proper atf approval.

--800mZero
MKS first welded demilled M14 receivers together. Then they had new receivers made. In both cases, the operating rod rail had verboten machining cuts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts