Gunhub.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have an M1A with Krieger match barrel and I'd like to add a scope to take advantage of the potential accuracy. Do any of you have a recommendation for a scope mount, rings (quick detachable for easy access to iron sights) and a scope recommendation?

Also, what is a good bipod for this rifle?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I have SA's 3rd. generation mount with the two attachment points. You have to remove the stripper clip guide and replace it with one that comes with the mount. I only use it for testing new loads, and always practice with the iron sights, so it gets removed and replaced often. It is dead on zero every time I put it back on.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I know I will draw fire on this one, but I have been using the Springfield 1st generation mount for 14-years without a problem and like it. I does not loosen up, holds its zero when I remove from the receiver etc. I am sure the newer 3rd mount should be fine. In my case, I would rather not remove the clip guide, but I understand you can remove the second thumb screw on the 3rd Gen mount thereby converting it to a 1st Gen. and keep the clip guide in place.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Scope Mount and Rings for M1A/M14

ARMS #18 with ARMS #22 Quick Detach Rings and I have the spacers since my Leupold Tactical has a 1" tube. The #22 rings are 30mm in size.

I do not recommend the cheap made SA 1st OR 3rd gen base. They "peen" where the notch meets the grove in the receiver above the hole, this you will see after a few 100 rounds. They are also bulky. The ARMS #18 has 3 points, the SA 1st has 1 (and will shoot off), the 2nd has 2. The knobs on the 3rd gen and 1st gen are big and get in the way. The ARMS base has an NSN and is used, along with the Brookfield and Smith Enterprise mounts in places such as Afghanistan and Iraq. If it works for the military, then it will work for me.

I have used all three. The SA 1st Gen that came with my NIB M1A shot off after only a few rounds. I gave it away. The 3rd Gen I bought was OK, but too big and bulky for me. I still have it, but got the ARMS. Whenever I want to go iron or scope, I can throw the levers, and the scope comes on or off w/o change of zero. AND, the ARMS mount is never in the way.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have a Luepold Mk4 6.5-20X50 in Leupold Mk4 medium rings on a Smith tactical mount (no cut out to use iron sights with). I'm happy with it, sets the scope a little less than 1/4 inch above the hand guard and the Smith mount has plenty of room for ejecting brass. I have recently had several jams but can blame it on coating the barrel since that was the only thing that changed (which I've also fixed since). Before that over 1500 rounds without a single hiccup related to the scope mount.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the Smith Enterprises see-through mount, and the Smith rings. They are extremely robust parts, probably overkill for casual civilian use, but first-class quality. I have the lowest rings, because I mounted a 1.5-5X Leupold scope which has no objective bell and allows low mounting. I also have a Cheek-n-Stock leather cheekpiece that allows perfect alignment for the scope, although the scope is low enough that it can be used with no additional height at the comb, although not the best arrangement. If you mount a big scope, then one of the adjustable combs and related hardware would be just about required. The Leupold scopes are, I believe, the best value available. Not cheap, but not the most expensive either, and good quality with great warranty repair if needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts