Gunhub.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
two questions: M1a Socom 16:

1. can remove its muzzle brake? (to shorten the overall length)

2. will I need a gunsmith to replace the oem syn. stock to that of a birch (strongest wood?) wood stock or is this so easy that anyone that can read and follow instructions can swap it, safely? (I've handloaded 44RM shells for years without blowing up, on the Dillion Square Deal B press...just to let you what i can do.)

thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can remove the MB but the rifle wouldn't function very well as it, the front sight and the gas lock are one piece.
Pic link for an idea of what I'm talking about:
http://www.sspenguins.org/cannon/SOCOM_MB.jpg

Right now no one makes one. Smith Enterprise states Springfield changed the threads so making something work would cost more than a new barrel. Still holding out at this end though. :D

In regards to the stock: I haven't a clue as I went with a Sage so maybe someone else will jump in on that point

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Swapping stocks is as easy as taking the barreled action and trigger group out of one stock and putting them into another. FWIW, birch is harder than walnut, but not necessarily stronger. Walnut is more stable than birch, which is why it has been the preferred wood for stocks in both Europe and America for the last 300 years or so.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh I see "Walnut is more stable than birch"

TEA said:
Swapping stocks is as easy as taking the barreled action and trigger group out of one stock and putting them into another. FWIW, birch is harder than walnut, but not necessarily stronger. Walnut is more stable than birch, which is why it has been the preferred wood for stocks in both Europe and America for the last 300 years or so.
oh I see "Walnut is more stable than Birch"
there's more to good looks

thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts