Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everything is condition so it is hard to answer this. My local gunshop guy has an M3 Imperial blade marked trench knife. It has good leather and about 60% finish.

He is asking for an offer. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Imperial made the largest number of M3's at 854,000+. That said, the blade marked are the most sought after Imperials (either US M3 Imperial 1943 or US M3 Imperial). Even though these knives were made in huge quantities, they remain a sought after collectable.

You are right that condition is everything. At 60% without seeing it (and without a scabbard) I would offer between $60-$80. Geographical regions also create differing price levels.

Let us know if there is a scabbard and if so, please offer a description.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has an M8 scabbard. Nothing special there. The blade is marked US M3 IMPERIAL. Hnadle and leather are in nice shape. It is tight. the park is about 60%, blade has been sharpened but a long time ago. No nicks. Nice knife.

I already offered 100 and was turned down. He wants 175. Perhaps I should move on? Still unsure. He said he would hold it for me till after the holiday as I have bought alot of stuff in his shop before.

I guess this would help. If it had a near perfect finish and was unsharpened, how much would it be worth?

I quess it will come down to how badly I want it. I have not seen too many nice M3s around here lately (upper midwest).

Thanks for help. sometimes I don't mind overpaying if I think I will not see another for a while. I don't see too many blade marked M3s period as of late.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I would move on, based upon the condition you mentioned. By the way, the M8 and M8A1 (first model) scabbards are going up in value themselves.

But like you said, condition is everything.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks DS, if I decide to buy it (I may be able to talk him down a bit) I will post some detailed pics. I may not be describing condition well...but I know that makes a great deal of difference.

sometimes I look at this stuff as a wash. I found a 1905 uncut with ww2 scabbard in vg+ condition over the summer for $15 at a garage sale.

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Arrrrgh! That is a GREAT deal.

You are right again, that's exactly how you have to look at it. Win many, loose a few. However, when you overpay think of it as not paying too much, just buying too soon.

A friend, who is very knowledgeable about M1 Carbines, and on this site often, counseled me when I agonized over paying too much for a Carbine. He told me if you collect, you’ll make mistakes. He said that I should relax and wait. If the piece is right, the value will almost always overtake the purchase.

He’s right!

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Audie, in the condition you describe, it would be $135 absolute tops! and only if the scabbard is in very good shape. If he doesn't come down to that, walk....its not worth what he's asking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts