Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they make either flares or some other legal projectile that can be launched out of the M14 grenade launchers?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Not commercially. You will have to find WWII surplus. One caution. Launching those pyrotechics can land one into a lot of trouble. Certain municipalities have "Fireworks" ordnances which cover these. Also they burn so hot they will cause a structure fire if they land on one.

Furthermore they can also be a problem if launched near a body of water. The coast guard will get involved in a rescue effort and prosecute for false signaling of an emergency.

Make sure you know the local laws.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'd be happy with a Potato-gun launch modification that uses those blanks. I'm afraid that the launch would be a bit too brisk for the typical spud, though...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Aren't 7.62 mm NATO rifle grenade blanks M64? DO NOT LAUNCH ANYTHING USING BLANKS THAT ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR THAT PURPOSE!

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Aren't 7.62 mm NATO rifle grenade blanks M64?
Actually they are grenade cartridges. There is no such US GI modern designation as "Grenade Blanks". There were Grenade Blanks during the 1920's and earlier but by WWII the designations were corrected to prevent the problems you refer to in your post.

Furthermore when I think he crossed the M79 with the M76 launcher.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bill Ricca said:
Furthermore when I think he crossed the M79 with the M76 launcher.
Yes.. I was referring to the Launcher attachment for the M14 rifle... not the M79 grenade launcher.... sorry for the mixup.

And again I was interested in legal uses only. I'm not willing to give up my gun rights for novelties.... I was thinking of something like fireing a 12 gauge flare out of a shotgun.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
The pryotechnic signals shot off an M14 or M1 rifle will go about 700 feet in the air and burn at probably 700-1000 degress. The white parachute version will illuminate over 1/4 of a mile radius.

These are neat toys to play with but the impact area and safety are a main concern. Drifting winds can send a parachute flare to a destination that may be of concern, like a barn or the roof of a house.

When I used to shoot the Amber Parachutes I did it on several hundred cleared acres and always after a good rain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My copy of TM 43-0001-27, Army Ammunition Data Sheets Small Caliber Ammunition FSC 1305, date 29 April 1994 still listed Cartridge, 7.62MM, Grenade, M64. As for what to launch, I launch all of the practise rifle grenades that are available. I launch them from a M1, M14 and FAL. Great fun.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
M14G be advised that grenade launchers are not appreciated here in our fair state. check the legality before you go any farther, as they may be forbidden altogether.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Keep in mind that grenade launching was engineered into the M14 design. The M14 design included hammer forged receivers, bolts and flashhiders.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I am not sure where Delloro is referring to, but my guess is the lefty state of California. If that is the case, he is correct. Meer possession of any grenade launcher in California is a criminal offense. I never ship any to that state.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
it is California indeed.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
delloro said:
it is California indeed.
Thank you for the warning, I was aware of the Kalistan laws... unfortunately even the flash hider which has the bayonet lug which attaches to the grenade launcher is illegal. I am planning to move to a free state like Texas or Nevada and that is the purpose of my research.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
a FH which also serves as a GL may be possessed on a properly registered "AW." E.g., an AR-15 with a USGI FH. but, a purpose specific GL is not allowed. Thank God, I say, because there sure were a lot of grenade incidents.... :roll:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
delloro said:
a FH which also serves as a GL may be possessed on a properly registered "AW." E.g., an AR-15 with a USGI FH. but, a purpose specific GL is not allowed. Thank God, I say, because there sure were a lot of grenade incidents.... :roll:
Yes, unfortunately I was not in a decent financial state prior to 2000 so I could not buy and subsequently register an assault weapon. The law does allow for permits to obtain one after the fact but I am sure that happens as often as snow in death valley.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts