Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be reloading 41 Magnum LSWC bullets. My usual load consists of 9 gr. Unique and standard primers (not a recommendation, just what has proven very accurate for me). I have come across a large supply of magnum primers and am wondering if I should slightly reduce my loading of Unique while using the magnum primers. Any difference in standard and magnum primers with Unique?

Thanks for your insights,

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Unique is so easy to light that magnum primers aren't needed. IMX accuracy usually goes down a bit unless you're using "magnum" powders like H-110.

I certainly wouldn't rush out and buy them, but if you got a good deal it will be OK to do as you said. I'd probably drop 0.5 gr. and work up if needed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Magnum primer will change your ballistics. You knew that. Unique -- not my first choice in large bore propellant. Big fan of Hodgdon H 110 for mag. loads.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use Unique for reduced and medium loads in the big bores. 296/110 is my favorite for magnum loads. I have one 2400 load in the .41 Magnum that is great.

I took Charlie's advice and reduced my Unique load by 0.5gr with the magnum primers. Got to the indoor range and the loading is superb. Off-hand at 35 feet (I know it not a great distance) 5 rounds into a cloverleaf. One hole; all touching.

It is now well above 100 in my area, so I think reloading is over for the season. My garage gets to about 4,000 degrees.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
It is now well above 100 in my area, so I think reloading is over for the season. My garage gets to about 4,000 degrees.
Obviously you don't have your priorities in the proper order: either put AC in the garage or throw somebody out of a bedroom... :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts