Gunhub.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at my local gun shop today I was shown and fell in love with an old Marlin model 39 A, a lever gun in .22 . I brought it home, stripped it down, cleaned it and then put two boxes of ammo thru it. I believe it is a keeper. It has certainly had some wear, so I am considering "redoing" the stock and forearm. Probably try an "oil" type of finish. Whatdoyathink?? :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!

as the owner of a 60's vintage 39A, I can tell you it's one gun I would never consider selling. Good looking, accurate, and just plain fun to shoot! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. 8)

·
Registered
75 Posts
:D The Marlin, Model 39A, 'Mountie' was my first rifle. I got mine around 1958 and shot many, many thousands of rounds through it. It was a very accurate lever action that would fire, reliably, in all positions except when the muzzle was pointed straight down. (Don't know why; but it always jammed whenever I was shooting down into the quarry.) This is, also, the first gun I tried to use with a scope. (What a learning experience that was!) It gave decent 75 yard accuracy; I could, usually, hit a beer can with the first shot; but, because of the shorter barrel, (18"?) it didn't give the same kind of accuracy after, about, 85 yards. Quite frankly, I'm sorry I didn't keep it; but, then again, I've sold Colt, Series 70's and Browning, P-35's - too! :?

·
Super Moderator
7,055 Posts
I definitely wouldn't recommend a stain of any kind. IIRC Midway has a simple kit that has everything you need. Fernando's right about hand rubbed oil finishes and that's what it had originally anyhow. I think linseed oil has been replaced with something that doesn't smell as bad...

·
Registered
45 Posts
i cant say that a Marlin was my first .22 Rimfire, that privlage falls to a Ruger 10/22 that i soon trasformed to a M-1 Carbine clone. a Marlin 39A was however my second .22 LR rifle, and it, like my Winchester .30-30 and .357's has survived many rodeos, camping trips and hudreds of miles on horses back in a leather saddel scarbard. and belive that riding in a leather scarbard is one on the toughest forms of wear on a a rifle, but my old marlin has held up extrodnarily well over the years, next to a 10/22 there one of the most rugged and durible guns out there.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
[IMG=left]http://webpages.charter.net/tyoberg/upload/DSCN5161.JPG[/IMG]
My Golden 39A Mountie w/ Williams receiver peep sight. It's a sweet gun to shoot, but I almost enjoy just carrying it more than shooting. It's perfect!

·
Registered
444 Posts
:D
One fine accurate rifle. I bought mine in 1968 in the px at Camp Lejeune, NC, I believe I paid $75. then. Would not part with it. The only thing I changed was to to put a Williams peep sight on it. :wink:

·
Registered
660 Posts
I too am a long time owner of a Marlin 39A. I bought mine new at the Sewart AFB, Tn. Base Exchange while I was on active duty in 1966. The BX had two of them and my buddy bought the other one after shooting mine. Still have it and will never get rid of it. All i have done to it is refinish the shock. I might add that I paid $62.00 for it.

Thinking back.... the BX also had several Browning Auto 5 shotguns. I still kick myself for not buying one as they were $200.00 each! But then again, 200 dollars was alot of money (1 months pay) back in 1966 for an E-4. Oh well!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts