Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Are you sure this was not an ONION story ... I mean, gun control in the U. K. has turned the country into such a utopia I thought this sort of thing was impossible.... :twisted:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TommyGunn said:
Are you sure this was not an ONION story ... I mean, gun control in the U. K. has turned the country into such a utopia I thought this sort of thing was impossible.... :twisted:
It will be interesting to see if the shotgun was legally owned.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If it was (the shotgun) legally owned I can see the immediate response of a new law (or is it ruling?) banning all shotguns, reguardless.

I'm surprised they let their troops have rifles, pistols, etc. during WWII. Should have armed them with billy clubs like they do their Bobbies (or whatever they call their cops).

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ExSarge said:
If it was (the shotgun) legally owned I can see the immediate response of a new law (or is it ruling?) banning all shotguns, reguardless.

I'm surprised they let their troops have rifles, pistols, etc. during WWII. Should have armed them with billy clubs like they do their Bobbies (or whatever they call their cops).
The Washington Times is now saying that there were a shotgun and a scoped .22 rifle that were recovered. Many victims were shot in the face or head. They are reporting that both were licensed weapons.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
While not all bobbies are armed, a surprising number are. However, the uniform makes it easy to conceal the weapon so they generally go unnoticed. They also have dedicated armed squads, somewhat akin to SWAT. cruising about. The armed squads have body armor, MP5s and other assorted pieces of kit.

Overall though, the Home Office and command structure does appear to have an institutional fear of armed coppers.

Trivia:the original firearms laws were enacted as a solution to "the Irish problem". Remarkable how effective they've been :shocked:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I knew the killer quite well having lived 30yds from him in the same village back in the late 70's - early 80's. Used to drink with him & car share into work - maybe a little pheasant poaching now & then too.....
I last spoke to him on May 15th, just before I flew out to the US. He appeared perfectly normal to me then.
My retail business is maybe 100yds from where he shot one of his victims.
I arrived back home from two weeks of shooting in Texas & New Mexico less than four hours after this started.
Both firearms were legally possessed; an O/U 12ga & a scoped .22rf rifle, with most of the deaths & injuries caused by the 12ga.
Apart from the three victims he deliberately targeted, he was calling people over as if wanting directions & then shooting them in the face with the 12ga.

What is different about this compared with almost all the other shootings of a similar nature is that none of us who knew Derrick can conceive of him being capable of committing such a terrible crime. He truly WAS an easy going & friendly guy & the three postulated reasons for his actions don't add up to enough to make him flip to me:
Family disagreement over a will (not much $ involved).
Our version of the IRS investigating him over $90,000 in his checking account - he expressed a fear that he would be jailed.
Argument with other taxi drivers about "poaching" fares the night before.

It was after the latter that he made the comment "there's going to be a rampage here tomorrow" which to my mind means he PLANNED things at least 12 hours in advance & must have considered it prior to that.
TBH I'm wondering if his autopsy will bring up a brain tumour or other abnormality which may have affected his thought processes.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Oddbod, that's a lot of stuff to get into. My condolences to you and I hope that they find it was, indeed, something wrong like that. I believe the Charles Whitman case in the US was similar with a brain tumor involved. I wish you and yours the best man.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts