Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
$3.00 Tommy Gun....$7.00 as a set with a snubbie. Those were the days.
I actually did have that snubbie revolver. I also had a couple of Colt Peacemaker Mattel that were essentially the same gun with longer barrels and faux ejector tube housings.
But sadly I must report I never got the Tommygun.:cry:

On the brighter side I did have a Winchester 73 that was fairly nice.:roll:
OH -- and a "Man from UNCLE" gun.:rolleyes:

Oh those halcyon days of yesteryear ........

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Durn... born too soon... missed both of those

BUT when they came along I was playing with real guns with free ammo and getting paid too...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
My grandfather was the one who introduced me to shooting (at four), and when we went to visit he and grandma had plenty of toy guns for us to play with. Some were very realistic looking.

One day shortly after he died, grandma was cleaning down in the basement and came across a small, kid-sized pistol. She absent-mindedly held it up and pulled the trigger...and a .32 bullet whizzed by her ear and into the ceiling.

She was always horrified at the thought that we might have assumed that, distraught over grandpa's death, she had gone down to the basement and killed herself.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm like you Charlie, I was too old for those things. By the 1960s I had been playing with Uncle Sam's guns for some time.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
I had a couple cool toy 1911s. One was made by Marx, and was slightly undersized, maybe 7/8 scale, or about like a Star BKS. It was DA. When you pulled the trigger, the slide went to the rear, and the internal hammer (the "1911" hammer was molded as part of the slide) would fire a single-loaded cap. Or would at least until the cap residue corroded and rotted out the metal guts, and then it wouldn't work anymore.

The other was molded in a bright jungle green and made by Placo Toys in New Jersey. Been looking for another for years, haven't found one, though I have found out it was originally made by MACO toys, same as my tommygun, and I have managed to collect two MACOs--one white, one black. This one is also DA, pulling the trigger runs the slide back, which then flies forward and shoots a little plastic bullet ten or fifteen feet. This one is full-size and the fake hammer is separately pinned to the frame and pivots.

I need to find one of those Marx 1911s. Couple years ago I bought a Marx Colt Detective Special on eBay. It's full size and is an amazingly accurate replica, for a toy.

One of my minor hobbies is collecting full-size (or close to it) 1911s and P.38s. I took a picture of my whole P.38 collection a while back but have never rounded up all my fake 1911s and photographed them. Should do that sometime.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
To All,

Fwiw, I once had a MATTEL SPECIAL. - It was issued to me by our Uncle Sam.
(Didn't like it much though. = YETCH.)

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Yep. Had the Tommy Gun set, and the Man from U.N.C.L.E. set. Wanted a Johnny Seven, but that wasn't in the cards. Buncha other toy guns. I came by my interest...some call it an obsession...with firearms honestly.

Ahhh, Charlie! Must admit that sounds like a dream job. I realize there are down sides to everything, but getting paid to shoot sure sounds good. I got a small taste of it for a while in the USAF in '78 &'79 shooting on a couple of Rifle and Pistol teams. It was more fun than humping B-52's and F-4's. :) Unfortunately, my skill set never came anywhere near making that career path a possibility.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
It was. I admit that I never got to the upper echelons of the "Blue" team, but did get to play with the big boys.

Back to the Seecamp for a minute. I ended up with three cover stories out of it and they kindly made me CEP1. I did carry it as a backup for awhile until they decided we had to be state qualified with them too. Came close, but shooting @25 yd. with no sights was my downfall.

I'll bring the .380 to Gunstock if you want a real challenge.. :shock:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
It was. I admit that I never got to the upper echelons of the "Blue" team, but did get to play with the big boys.

Back to the Seecamp for a minute. I ended up with three cover stories out of it and they kindly made me CEP1. I did carry it as a backup for awhile until they decided we had to be state qualified with them too. Came close, but shooting @25 yd. with no sights was my downfall.

I'll bring the .380 to Gunstock if you want a real challenge.. :shock:
That's a deal. I'll bring ammo and humility. :D

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Walt, that would be cool. And if that were me, it would be my last shot of the day. Go out on a high note I always say.

Charlie, I will bring gloves. A .380 in that size gun has got to
be attention getting.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Oddly enough, I think having small paws is a benefit with those types of pistols.

Less extraneous meat to get bitten...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Oddly enough, I think having small paws is a benefit with those types of pistols.

Less extraneous meat to get bitten...
Well, I'm odd enough...and my paws are small...meaty but small.

As for extraneous meat, it's not my fault...it's...it's...my thyroid. Yeah, that's the ticket...my thyroid! :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts