Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where Mausers built during WWII and post was with a "Blued" bolt or in the "White"?
Is there any body who knows the difference and why are there some being sold blued and some with the bolt in the white steel?
I'd like to get some feedback before I commit to buy.
Thank you. :? :?

·
Registered
8 Posts
German K98's were not issued with bolts in the white. The Yugo's were built post war with German equipment and I have seen some of them being sold with bolts in the white. They also were not issued that way as far as I know and I have no idea why they would be sold that way. The easiest way to tell a Yugo M48 from a K98 is the Yugo has wood behind the rear sight and the K98 does not.
It sounds like you might be considering a rifle from Mitchell"s. In my opinion, the Russian Captured K98's from Classic Arms are a much better deal.
http://classicarms.us/htm/firearms.htm

Here's mine from Classic: http://www.fireteamzulu.com/html/kar98k_0.html

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rudy. I have a Yugo M48A from Mitchell's and a Russian Capture enroute from Classic Arms.

I got the Mitchell before I had heard of RC's or that any of these forums even existed.

The Mitchell's Collector Grade are beautiful rifles but way overpriced. Mine is a tack driver, but I could have gotten two almost as nice rifles for what I paid.

Go to http://www.classicarms.com and at the bottom of the homepage click on Firearms. Scroll down until you get to the K98s. The owner describes each K98 in detail. He has a very good reputation.
I'd recommend going after one with a high quality bore, assuming you plan to shoot it. He will note the bore condition.

Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Disregard the link I posted in my note above. The one in the reply above mine is the correct one. Sorry.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I wish Id have bought several when they first began to be imported
but as usual $$$ wasnt there but I was able to buy 1 M48 as new or unissued whatever it was called with all the accessories,bayo/scabbard,clean kit,sling, etc in truly excellent +
condition in fact i couldnt tell whether it had been fired beyond proofing or not it was just that nice,the wood was also nice,a little rougher original finish than one would expect which could be due to wood used its a real heavy dense teak or something similar very heavy and Oil soaked!All that delivered to me from my dealer for less than $200, closer to $180 if I recalL .Have the reciept somewhere was it '02' when they began to arrive?I decided when I cleaned mine up to use NC only in it the gun was in such fine shape so I went out and bought 400 rds of FNM 70s NC Ss HVY ball.
Im about through that so Im looking at restocking alot more maybe double that amount with the ammo mkt what it is with the same FNM or a new man FNM 7.92 thats now available, new( Ss) privi partizan is also available.Alot of you will say thats high priced for an inexpensive yugo M48.I doubt youll find them as nice as mine anymore as inexpensively as we were if you can find one in this shape at all.Its one of my most highly prized rifles in fact even though I have far more expensive rifles I dont know how much more truly "valuable "they are comp[ared to ythe M48 including my M1a thats been virtually living at SAI since I bought it in '0-4' Fact is Id love to find a shot out but otherwise "very good" example of the yugo m48/24 to rbbl to
7.62x51 and a nice reciever peep sight.Nice thing about the bolt guns is you can afford to shoot the decent ammo they deserve.
Still alot of inexpensive(relatively) fun to be had with the simplicity of a military bolt gun , a few bandoliers a nice day and plenty of room to shoot. SW SD , 5 minutes from my door is room to shoot a .50 cal to max ranges and on federal grassland to boot, gotta love it!

Everyone ive seen has been in the white (yugo mausers)

·
Registered
244 Posts
There was some variation in 'Nazi K98s' as many were manufactured outside germany in occupied plants.main one coming to mind is czeckloslovakia.At first the czech mausers made for germany were of the cz24pattern but were gradually converted over to std K98.Generally speakinh though I believe most if not all german K98s had blued bolts while the yugo postwar M48 had in the white bolts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your feedback on this matter, I do apologize for having taken so long to reply.
However, I did purchase a built in 1944 K98 Mauser, and a post war Yugo Mauser M48.
They where both previously purchased from Mitchel’s Mausers and I purchased them from the estate sale, got them both for just under $550.00 and that included a10% I gave my friend with an FFL, since it was the grandson of the deceased that had made the stipulation in order to protect him self.
I’m not concerned over the paper trail issue, after the years I served in the US armed forces, they can always find me since I’m currently employed by Uncle Sam.
But for every body’s “FYI”, the Yugo is shorter than the German.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Im sure youll enjoy em boyh tremendously and while i dont see the need for transfer from a family nenber or others for a private sale i cant see at least in the near term it would be a problem.
ideally though they just would have dissapeared via a private sale to an unremembered party. I actually have much more fun with the bolt guns generally speaking than almost any other of my mil style weapons. Beginning to really enjoy my Mia after they finally repaired it to a reliable relatively accurate weapon w/a few GI parts including TG,as new HRN.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts