Gun Hub Forums banner

"Mexican" carry, starting to make sense

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Pvt. Joker 
#1 ·
In my state, there are a lot of places where it’s not okay to carry, so you find yourself wearing, and not wearing all the time. Other than work, where I can’t carry a weapon, I don’t spend long periods of time in town, so wearing a holster all day without a gun just doesn’t make sense.

For a while, I’ve just been carrying a J frame in my front pocket, and still do; but I was desiring something more akin to a full sized pistol with a bit more “firepower”.

So I began sticking my M&P in the car and just tucking it under my belt when I went inside someplace in town, and you know; it’s working out very well. 4:00 placement under a snug belt and it sits tight and really doesn’t move around much. For trips into a restaurant or the store it’s adequate and it makes carrying what I consider a more adequate pistol much more convenient.

I still wear my Commander in my IWB holster on days where I’m out and about all darned day, but for in-between time, this is working out pretty well.

#2 ·
I have a friend who does that all the time... he's only had it fall out once :?

For me the "J" frame in the pocket is an all day, every day thing. I've tried but just haven't been comfortable so if the situation warrants it's holster, mag carrier and a few hand grenades :wink:

#3 ·
Get a good paddle holster, I have had good luck with the Galco models or get a hook type IWB, it comes off with the gun with just a twist. I will not carry a non safety gun in "mexican" style ever as all it takes is a little bit of trouser or shirt tale snagging the trigger and you're on the evening news.

#4 ·
guntotin_fool said:
Get a good paddle holster, I have had good luck with the Galco models or get a hook type IWB, it comes off with the gun with just a twist. I will not carry a non safety gun in "mexican" style ever as all it takes is a little bit of trouser or shirt tale snagging the trigger and you're on the evening news.
I really don't like paddle holsters because they just dont conceal nearly as well as IWB. And when I slip my M&P into my belt, it's in condition 3...I agree with your concern about the trigger cockers.

#6 ·
I've done the string holster many times before and still do it from time to time. You have to remember, this is for sort of an inpromptu carry when I'm just running into the store or something; not for all day carry, or anything beyond about 15-20 minutes at a time. For what I'm doing, if my belt is cinched up tight, I don't have any problems at all.

#8 ·
2HOW said:
The whole point of "mexican" carry is so you can toss the gun before getting arrested, and have no holster to give you away. A string holster may be a better option.
In fact, Mas has written in at least one article that otherwise law-abiding Mexicans developed the "Mexican Carry" so they could carry for self-defense, without a holster that could "give them away" to anti-gun law enforcement--carry permits are restricted to the well-connected down there. Like many Americans, there are Mexicans who feel that self-defense trumps a law.

#10 ·
I had an old Star BKS I used to Mexican carry in small of back. But everytime I pulled it I found the hammer safety down. I guess it gave me a phobia about carrying any 1911 type pistol that way :D . I will however slip my PT140 into a pocket occasionally.

#11 ·
Eremicus said:
I've long carried IWB w/o a holster. So called "calvery style." Hides better than any IWB with butt to the rear for a 1911. I should think that your S&W alloy framed gun would work well that way. I have no faith in the really little guns if I really need a gun. E
Yeah, I'm sure it would work just fine, but the M&P is my vehicle gun because it's expendable and the S&W LW Commander is much less expendable.

#14 ·
shep854 said:
Glock 30, apparently sans holster, in sweatpants... :ek:

Somehow, the result isn't surprising; though it could have been far worse.
Didn't an NFL player have a similar but less emasculating incident in NYC?

People often err in evaluating defensive equipment under best-case conditions. The likelihood of losing a gun that is stuffed into a waistband without a holster increases vastly if you have to run. I'm told it went nowhere but, a few years back, LASD was reported to have been re-evaluating the use of ankle holsters for backup guns after a couple were lost in foot pursuits.

#15 ·
spwenger said:
People often err in evaluating defensive equipment under best-case conditions. The likelihood of losing a gun that is stuffed into a waistband without a holster increases vastly if you have to run. I'm told it went nowhere but, a few years back, LASD was reported to have been re-evaluating the use of ankle holsters for backup guns after a couple were lost in foot pursuits.
Concur, although my running can only just be called that these days. There are occasions when I might unexpectedly end up on the turf, and I like to know my gun's going to still be under my control.

#19 ·
Joe Forte said:
"Calvary Carry"
Is that where you bring the gun to the top of the Mount? I think it's "cavalry". :roll:
Nahh; it's for when you have one of those "Come to Jesus" moments when you are praying the whole time you are drawing, "Oh Lord; PLEASE don't let me miss and PLEASE don't let this thing jam NOW!!! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.