Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
I have been considering my .22LR pistols. I have a T-514 5" Bull Barrel Ruger MK. II, but I know it is a heavy hand full.
I have a Walther P22, short barrel which is nice, light and poorly made.
The market isn't exactly full of competition for a light compact .22LR.
We have the Bersa: Thunder Series
and the Ruger: Ruger® SR22® Rimfire Pistol Models
and the alleged improved Walther: Category - P22®
Wild card: a .22LR conversion on the Kel-Tec 9 Kel Tec CNC but I do not care for the trigger pull compared to my Kahr.
Anyone have experience with the newest examples of the above? Other suggestions?
Geoff
Who is a curious fellow.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
What about the Ruger MKIII 22/45 (plastic frame) with a short/thin barrel? If you need it even lighter, swap on one of those Tacsol aluminum uppers.

Or you could haunt the used market for a Beretta 70 or 948, a Walter PP or PPK, or a LLama XV.

Then there's that Browning 3/4 scale 1911.

Of the ones you linked to, I like the Bersa best.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I really like the S&W M&P 22. It is made by UMAREX but looks and feels like the M&P. Mine has been utterly reliable.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I’ve always been a fan of the Beretta Puma’s…they’re PPK size, so that’s small or medium depending on how you view them. The Puma is about the same size as the Bersa; they are very accurate and very reliable. Unfortunately these days they’re a bit pricey, and magazines are typically $40.00-$50.00; but you don’t need a bunch.

Bersa’s are fantastic pistols, but I haven’t heard good things about their .22lr…I’m not sure what the problem is, but I wish they would get it straightened out because that’s a very cool pistol.

I didn’t know Kel-Tec made a .22lr conversion unit for the PF 9; do they? If they do, I may suddenly be very interested in that pistol.

The S&W M&P .22lr is a VERY nice little pistol. If I still owned an M&P you can bet your bottom dollar I’d own the .22lr version too.

Actually, .22lr conversion units are pretty much NEVER a bad idea.

The 22/45 Lite is a VERY interesting pistol to me, especially since it has a threaded barrel.

Snake seems to be the designated .22lr man; he has more cool .22lr pistols than most people I know. If you have a question, I’m betting he has been there, done that. I love that he has a .22lr P-38 and Beretta 1934…that’s just cool.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Snake seems to be the designated .22lr man; he has more cool .22lr pistols than most people I know. If you have a question, I'm betting he has been there, done that. I love that he has a .22lr P-38 and Beretta 1934…that's just cool.
The .22 Beretta 1934 actually has its own model number, which is 948. As in 1948, maybe? It's pretty rare. I own the only one I've ever personally seen. The only others I've ever even heard of are J.B. Wood's, and one guy on Rimfirecentral.com had one--or maybe he was on Rugerforum.com.

Mine doesn't get shot much because it shoots almost a foot to one side at 25 yards and the rear sight has resisited ALL my efforts to drift it. Mine has a lightweight alloy frame that's sort of bronze colored. It shows no sign of ever having normal black anodizing removed (as by sanding or polishing), so why it's that color is a complete mystery. I have the original box it came in, too.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
For a nice lightweight .22 pistol, get a Ciener .22 conversion for Commander/OM and put it on a LW Commander frame. TOO light for me, but it light is what you're looking for...

Has anyone ever made LW OM-sized frames? If so, the Ciener conversion on that would give you a very light pistol that's also pretty compact.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
After market aluminum frames of any size are virtually non-existent and I've yet to figure out why. I'm here to tell you, there IS a market for them.
Federal Ordnance used to make alloy 1911s frames in both full size and Commander lengths. Sold under the name Ranger, they were reasonably priced, too (@ $50). I built five guns on them and they all worked just fine. This was back in the '80s.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The Buckmark is a classic. Mine has 5.5" barrel, though I'd like to get a shorter one.
I also have an S&W M-34 revolver with a 4" barrel. A snub would be nice to better stand-in for my CCW.
High-power and Beretta/Taurus 92 conversions would be nice also.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Federal Ordnance used to make alloy 1911s frames in both full size and Commander lengths. Sold under the name Ranger, they were reasonably priced, too (@ $50). I built five guns on them and they all worked just fine. This was back in the '80s.
Yeah, I've built guns on them before. But that was like 30 years ago...Why isn't anyone making them today?

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Geoff
Who notes some folks definition of small and light is a touch different than mine.
Okay, I'll bite. The thread title said "Mid-size" but now we're talking small and light. What are your standards for "small and light?"

What do you want to use this pistol for? (We note that Jeff Cooper said this was always an unpopular question.)

How accurate do you need it to be?

How much can you afford to spend?

Would a revolver meet your needs?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Think of it as a P22 that works. Field companion. Snake medicine without going to the Judge or Governor. The Ruger MKIII lightweights look nice, but OH THE COMPLICATIONS!
Geoff
Who is flexible, despite the arthritis.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the Walther P22 often works. I've put called shots in the head of a half size steel silhouette at 25 yards. It is very ammo picky. CCI Mini-mag SOLIDS. The front sight disappeared on me one fine day. S&W sent a new sight blade within days, but my faith was shaken, especially after the rep offered me a return box when I ID'd the pistol as a P22!
Geoff
Who notes he passed on a Beretta M70S in the 1980's and bought a Ruger MK I standard. I wish I still had them both!

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Geoff,

You didn't really answer any of the questions. Price, reliability, accuracy; etc.

A “P22 that works”.
Ruger make a P22 like pistol and I’ve heard good reports about them, but I haven’t actually seen one myself.

When I think of .22’s that size, I immediately come back to the Beretta Model 70 Puma’s of the ‘60’s & ‘70’s. These are very reliable, light weight, accurate, and typically just fun to shoot. They’re a bit pricey, but if you intend to hold onto it, I don’t think it would be a purchase you’d ever actually regret.

The newer version, the Model 85 Cheetah is just as good, a little larger, little heavier, and perhaps a touch more accurate; excellent mid-sized .22lr pistol.

Me personally, I’m VERY willing to go somewhat deep in the pocket on a .22lr if it’s a gun I really like. The S&W 617 10 shot K-22 was something that REALLY appealed to me, but it was a very expensive .22. It remains my absolute favorite handgun to shoot and I haven’t regretted its purchase at all. So if you want reliable and accurate in a mid size, just pony up and go Beretta.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Back in the '80s, EXCAM of Florida imported the ERMA RX-22, a light alloy PPK lookalike. Mine is at least as reliable and accurate as my "real" Walther PPK .22. They sold for about $85 new back in the day. A good one will run you twice that today, maybe closer to 3X. A beat one, maybe a bit over a hundred.

If that's not small and light enough, there was the Iver Johnson TP-22, another ERMA import, which was sort of a shrunken PPK lookalike. Mine also functions and shoots well. I have no idea what these go for these days--haven't seen one for sale for years and years.

Have you thought about the reborn Whitney Wolverine?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I love the Wolverine. Is Olympic really making them?

Kevin I have the SR22 and no gripes. It is very reliable and as accurate as the competition.. I lean toward the M&P because it feels good to me.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Back in the '80s, EXCAM of Florida imported the ERMA RX-22, a light alloy PPK lookalike. Mine is at least as reliable and accurate as my "real" Walther PPK .22. They sold for about $85 new back in the day. A good one will run you twice that today, maybe closer to 3X. A beat one, maybe a bit over a hundred.

If that's not small and light enough, there was the Iver Johnson TP-22, another ERMA import, which was sort of a shrunken PPK lookalike. Mine also functions and shoots well. I have no idea what these go for these days--haven't seen one for sale for years and years.

Have you thought about the reborn Whitney Wolverine?
Man Snake, I'd love to do some rimfire shooting with you. The RX-22 is a little pistol I fell in love with back in the '80's. A friend got one and I used to to hunt bunnies way back when and it performed very well. Mostly reliable, good analogue or understudy for a PPK, and rather accurate; probably more accurate than the PPK. I can't believe in 25-30 years I have still never actually owned one myself.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Man Snake, I'd love to do some rimfire shooting with you. The RX-22 is a little pistol I fell in love with back in the '80's. A friend got one and I used to to hunt bunnies way back when and it performed very well. Mostly reliable, good analogue or understudy for a PPK, and rather accurate; probably more accurate than the PPK. I can't believe in 25-30 years I have still never actually owned one myself.
My RX-22 has only given me two problems. First time out, the rear sight (and its locking screw) flew off and were lost forever. Replacement from EXCAM cost me $20--I'd only paid $85 for the WHOLE GUN BRAND NEW, ferpissake! :eek::confused: I've made sure it's been screwed down TIGHT ever since.

The other problem is that in SA mode, the trigger has about 1/4" or more of overtravel after letoff--hard to shoot well that way. I made a "white trash" trigger stop out of some epoxy putty on the frame behind the trigger. It looks like ass but makes the gun MUCH more shootable! ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts