Gunhub.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 03a3 from the CMP and the stock is in awesome shape but is very dark and smothered in cosmoline so I took it to an antique woodworker to clean it. When I get it back, what is the best way to finish it to make it look like a new military finish? I had a garand stock that I stripped and put a few coats of natural wood stain on the put 6 coats of tung oil on and it turned out great but I think I want a bit darker finish on this one.

·
Registered
651 Posts
refinish...........

Well depending upon what the woodworker does....I'd dye it with some alcohol based dye of my favorite color :^) such as Chestnut Ridge's Military Stock Stain and then oil such as BLO or Tung Oil.

There are specialty wood dyes or I use shoe leather dyes .......

I wouldn't make it too shiny or too new looking...

It'll look something similar to this:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Here's my walnut 03-A3 stock, stained with Fiebings Dark Brown Leather Dye (the alcohol based stuff, ... not the oil dye). Then several coats of 1/2 & 1/2 BLO and Turpentine. Then several coats of "special paste" (found recipe on CSP). 1/3 BLO - 1/3 Turpentine - 1/3 Beeswax. Melt together on the stove over low heat then allow to cool to a paste. Rub into wood with hands, let dry 10 minutes and buff with a soft dry cloth, allow to dry overnigh. Repeat 2 or 3 times till desired finish.

Nice looking wood Kivaari :) , ... looks like we're on the same track.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Since my CMP 03A3 had pretty dark wood naturally, it didnt need any stain. All I did was degrease the stock and then give it a few coats of tung oil. Depending on what your stock looks like after it's cleaning, you may or may not need any stain/dye.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have used the stains and dyes, but like to let the wood shine through sometimes also.
Very nice :D

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I agree, thomjb - It's important to remember that a military stock had a satin "sheen" to it, not the deep shine you see on commercial stocks.

Whether you use tung oil or BLO, put it on by hand in THIN coats, carefully wiping off the excess. If you put it on too thick or don't wipe it with a soft rag afterwards, you'll end up with a sticky mess.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Anybody know what makes the best "dent filler"? I have a Garand Stock that came on my CMP Winchester Racker that I want to do over, but there are some incredibly deep dings that look like they came from bouncing around in the crate with the front sights of other rifles dinging up the wood repeatedly. No way steaming these will help much. I'm looking for something that will take they dye and blend resonably well with the wood when lightly sanded and finished with the dye and BLO or Tung Oil like Kivaari's stock. There is an old arsenal repair on the comb that looks almost exactly like I want, but have no idea what they used. Thanks in advance, Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts