Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from the gun show today and just could not leave with this Winchester Model 12 ser no. 542##. He wanted 350 plus tax but tlaked to 325 out the door. What do you think, did I get hosed or not. What can I do about the sruface rust on the bolt. Where can I find out the year it was made and how to disassemble it. Is there any thing I should ck before shooting? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Great gun,

I found a reference on the web that puts manufacture date as 1928 for your gun. Surface rust can be taken care of by some light oil and 0000 steel wool. Put some light oil (nitro solvent, gun oil, CLP, WD-40 etc) on the steel wool and rub the surface rust away. Afterwards, put a light coat of gun oil on the entire surface of the gun and keep it on for about a week, which allows it to be absorbed by the finish. Then come back and lightly wipe off any excess oil and you're good.

As for take down procedure, I could try to explain, but it's a lot easier to show someone. May I recommend you take your gun to a gunsmith in town and have him show you how to break it down. It takes a couple of tries to get it down, and remember to continue to break it down several times until you really have it down pat. There's a bit of a knack to doing it and that knack is easily forgotten.

GunGeek

G

·
0 Posts
A five digit serial Model 12 for that price? It's probably been refinished but it's still a shooter. My Maddis book says it was made in 1914.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts