Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The most recent issue of National Heritage magazine has their annual "Most overrated/Underrated series in it. I was quite surprised to see an article on the most overrated/underrated firearms.

The particular author for the firearms part -- Patrick Sweeney -- chose the Springfield 1903 as most overrated and the FN FAL as the most underrated.

My first thought was "Underrated? It's was accepted and issued by more countries than probably any other rifle at the time!"

But to his credit the author was talking about the original .280 chambering only.

Ed

·
Registered
46 Posts
In the recent episode "The Guns of Israel" on the History channel, the FN FAL was found to be unreliable by the Iraeli army in the sandy environment, thus the development of the Galil rifle. So I guess the FN FAL could still be considered "under rated" as long as that doesn't count!

·
Registered
853 Posts
I used to own a "G model" FN FAL and I always liked the way it had a natural point towards the target thanks to the grip angle. It never failed even once in several thousand rounds, Then again I never did play in the sand. I think we are learning that the "sandbox" is a different cat. I belive that you are correct in that at one time the FAL was "standard for 40 or more countries. Maybe they just for the most part sat in armories or were used in parades. I remember seeing them in big piles after the Falklands campaign.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Over 90 armies adapted the FAL and they weren't waiting for parades, trust me.

Ed

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm aware that the Brits, Israel, Argentines and some of the African conflicts did use them for actual combat. My point was that it has come down to AKs and M16s with few still holding on to Fals for combat. As an individual I loved my FAL. Then again I'm fond of the 308 and feel good about my M1A and have enjoyed seeing our military pull the M14s out and put them in service for special situations.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
All I heard about the Israeli's bashing the Fal was,"they didn't like to maintain them" which stumps me. The FAL is the easiest rifle to maintain IMHO.

I personally think the Garand and Kalishnikovs family of firearms tend to hold up better in those environments. The FAL may not be the best for dirty environments but it's not the worst.

Glocks and AR's are the most over-rated firearms.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like the M1A followed by the G3 and the just about any 30cal AKM.
I like Fals too but those listed above are my top 3 picks.

Overrated would have to be M16

Underrated would have to be CETME

Glocks.....I don't really get too excited about them at all.

owner http://www.WarRifles.com

308 Holes Make Invisible Souls

"Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God"
........Benjamin Franklin

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
I agree on the CETME.

Its also one of the best rifles for the $$$$.

I'd get a CETME before I got a Romanian AK these days.

Although I already have two Mak90's and a Bulgarian.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
I got in 4 of the Century Arms CETME's for customers (got them from S.O.G.) and all four of them failed to function out of the box. S.O.G. did return and replace them, but it was a real hassle and severely alienated 4 customers who I had special ordered them in for.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm sure this will start a shouting match but I think that the 1911 is the most overrated gun :shock: ... Flame on
And the Marlin 336 in 30-30 is the must underrated.

If I have to explain it you probably wouldn't get it anyway.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I get it. BUT, just out of curiosity, what is your first choice for a PDW? (Handguns only)

Ed

·
Registered
93 Posts
Glen Wertle said:
I'm sure this will start a shouting match but I think that the 1911 is the most overrated gun
Whew,I've been waiting all day for someone else to say that! :lol:

Overrated: ARs,1911s,Glocks,also whatever the latest,greatest tacky bolt on du jour is.

Underrated:using common sense w/whatever is at hand.ie.Getting to know & TRUST your abilities w/whatever you choose.

My PDW is a 340PD &/or a large snake. :)

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jeffw said:
My PDW is a 340PD &/or a large snake. :)
You talking reptile or plumbers tool? :twisted:

Ed

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ed, I have and I like the SIG 220. Mine is a .45 but all the 220 series seem to work well for me. I also have a few S&W revolvers a beat up K frame model 10 and an even more beat to hell J frame Body Guard.
I carry the B.G. the most so I guess I would have to pick that. Square huh? :D

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glen Wertle said:
I carry the B.G. the most so I guess I would have to pick that. Square huh? :D
Oh I don't know about square, I'd guess that it's probably more common than you think.

Better to have a comfortable gun with you than a cannon at home.

Ed

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Portability - 6.0

Concealability - 3.2

Fear Factor - 9.9

Overall affect - 11

:wink:

·
Registered
50 Posts
First post for this Battlerifles guy and it's about a gun alot a cops carried and I never thought twice about. A lady at church gave me about 1500 rds. of .357 that belonged to her father. I had not owned a revolver in about 15 years. I'm kinda of an auto man but soon purchased a Smith & Wesson 686, 4inch barrel. Dad gum, I've come to like that gun! Underrated? Any of the wheelguns commonly carried by police 15 years ago!

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a similar story Nurse Student, I love autoloaders, I like the way they look, the way, they way they work, etc., etc., BUT, I got the hankering for a nice revolver and found a pristine 586 from 1983 at a good price. (Besides, I believe everyone should have a .357 they are just to versatile to pass up.)

I have the four inch barrel too. Balances well and I just love it. I'm trying to improve my overall shooting by working on slow, steady, doulbe action work.

Ed

Oh yeah, Welcome!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts