Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sun Sep 26,10:26 PM ET

MINNEAPOLIS - People across the country are shaking their heads over the kid ticketed for allegedly riding his motorcycle at 205 mph - some out of disapproval, other because they doubt he went that fast.

Ever since a State Patrol pilot clocked Samuel Armstrong Tilley's 2002 Honda RC51 going a quarter-mile in 4.39 seconds on Sept. 18, people in chatrooms, garages and biker bars from Sturgis, S.D., to Los Angeles have been buzzing about the alleged feat on Highway 61 near Wabasha.

For the rest of the story click HERE

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've never ridden one of those, but I am told they can't do over 165 without major enhancements like the addition of a turbo charger or something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't doubt it a bit. I once did 170 mph on a bone stock 1972 Kawasaki Z1. That was a much younger, much more stupid me!

:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
RC51s do not go 205 mph. The Honda RC211V barely hits 200 mph and that is a million dollar GP bike. It is not possible with the mods the guy had on his bike. It is, however, entirely possible, make that probable, that the LEO flyboy mucked up the timing with his stopwatch. The case is BS and should not even make it to court.

·
Registered
128 Posts
RC51s do not go 205 mph. The Honda RC211V barely hits 200 mph and that is a million dollar GP bike. It is not possible with the mods the guy had on his bike. It is, however, entirely possible, make that probable, that the LEO flyboy mucked up the timing with his stopwatch. The case is BS and should not even make it to court.

·
Registered
447 Posts
In California they can't catch you by aircraft alone. An officer on the ground has to follow you and clock you at that speed, otherwise you can go to court and cite the California Vehicle Code section where it forbids aerial speed traps, and you walk. I don't know where in the US this happened though...

·
Registered
129 Posts
It's a BS ticket that M/C is incapable of such speed.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I can't see that it could ever do 205, heck the Hyabusa needs help to do over 200 and it has as much power as my car. This is not to say the guy wasn't going way to fast. My old '85 Honda interceptor did an honest 145 and scared the heck out of me. I had it on a dyno 3 months later and it was rpm limited at 163. So I could actually say I have been that fast on a bike 8) . Mind you it will never happen again and it was done on a closed runway so it was as safe as it could be for that speed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I hit 130 mph just once on my Daytona 955i. Even with an aftermarket high screen, it was hard to hold on, forget finely controlling the bike. Truck buffeting gets real scary, too. I find the idea of 205 to be unimaginable for that reason alone- forget the aerodynamic barrier vs. horsepower issues.

Of course, I'm a big guy and don't really "tuck" well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts