Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that good moviegoers should, and must, suspend disbelief. Give Charlie an “F”

The basic premise is that the bad guys have got the stuff to make real U.S. $100 bills and want to sell that to some worse guys. So far so good.

The CIA doesn’t want that to happen. Neither does the U.S. Army. Good too.

Now comes the “A” team a group of dishonorably discharged army guys. There’s a colonel, captain, corporal and somebody else called “Face”.

They even have a mantra, “ alpha, mike, foxtrot”

They have to get to Baghdad and find and appropriate an ancient, medevac marked Huey and head downtown.

Now some unidentified badguys in gunships give chase. The captain., recently freed from a mental institution is qualified to fly any thing with wings, rotors or rockets (I made up the rockets) so he easily evades rockets and miniguns with a series of fabulous maneuvers culminating with a loop.

Now I know some helicopters can do loops. But Hueys?

Of course there is lots of gunplay but since it is PG-13 lots of missing. Special effects are special… take earplugs.

It goes with good pace from one improbable event to the next. Courtesy of the bad guys- who turn out to be CIA- the good guys go to separate maximum security prisons except for the pilot who goes back to the funny farm.

Of course they escape and appropriate a C-130 for the trip to save the day. It is loaded with a tank ready for an air drop but minutes into the flight a swarm of UAVs (we know who controls those don’t we) attack with rockets. The C-130 pops lots of cool flares and does a stately barrel roll but begins to shed big pieces.

About that time the tank begins a graceful parachute descent and- of course- the good guys are in there. The UAVs continue the pursuit but are out of rockets so continue with guns. Even if UAVs really did have .50s there’s no way they can carry the countless rounds needed to shred two of the three chutes.

It would have been really cool if the tank was equipped with ejection seats but the tank- now going at tank terminal velocity- lands in a nice lake. Right now the realist in me knows that the tank is now nothing more than a glorified can of tomato soup but no- they drive safely on.

Now I give up and go with the rest of the improbable flow but I don’t want to spoil the ending.

But I learned something I know will serve me well. They reveal that “alpha, mike, foxtrot” is an acronym for, “ adios, mother, ******…

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
What I wonder about is can the New & Improved A Team hit anything they're shooting at? The original TV series had everyone shooting everything without any effect.
Except B.A. Baraccas did get shot once, IIRC. :roll:

I was never a big fan of the original series, though I did watch it on occasion.
I don't think this movie is intended to be anything other than high adventure of the silly-camp variety.
I haven't seen it .... probably won't.

G

·
Charlie Petty said:
I understand that good moviegoers should, and must, suspend disbelief. Give Charlie an "F"
I had the same problem with the last Die Hard movie. It was like watching a cartoon made with actors instead of Wiley Coyote.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yep, the original A Team on TV sucked too.

Nobody ever got hit with all the spraying going on.

Die Hard was a bit beyond belief too, quite a bit indeed.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
I understand that good moviegoers should, and must, suspend disbelief. . . .

. . . .the tank- now going at tank terminal velocity- lands in a nice lake. Right now the realist in me knows that the tank is now nothing more than a glorified can of tomato soup but no- they drive safely on.
Aside from the unrealistic gunplay, one of my pet peeves in action movies is that people routinely make impossible jumps and fall improbable distances without injury . . .
djl4570 said:
I had the same problem with the last Die Hard movie. It was like watching a cartoon made with actors instead of Wiley Coyote.
How about the final season of "24" ? Having recovered from the incurable bioweapon in the previous season, this year Jack Bauer was tied up and beaten by a bad cop, stabbed by his new girlfriend, beaten again and electrocuted by mobsters, shot by terrorists, knocked unconscious, beaten, shot, kidnapped, and beaten again . . . all in one day! - and at the end, even after bleeding out all over the city, he still was able to smile up at the UAV camera with his unbruised face and run off to the upcoming "24" feature film!

Wile E. Coyote wishes he was as indestructable as Jack Bauer!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Charlies sez, "But I learned something I know will serve me well. They reveal that “alpha, mike, foxtrot” is an acronym for, “ adios, mother, ******…"

Actually Charlie, that came from the brief and disgusting period when AMF owned Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Co.

Geoff
Who is not a biker, but he heard that one often enough.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After further review I think I heard it frist in one of the equally improbably "Die Hard" movies...

but the Harley thing is fine.

Charlie- who is not a biker... but I shot one once. 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts