Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month my beloved SOG multi-tool went missing. This isn't too big of a loss, as it was old and worn and needing to be replaced anyways.
I think I've had it for 5 years or there abouts.

Looking at all the new multi-tools out now, the selection is staggaring. I like the relatively new Leatherman Super Tool, and I also like the new Gerber Recoil. But are these rugged enough to stand up to hard use? I'm under the hoods of vehicles quite often, or working on a Moto Guzzi, or boat, or working back stage at a local theater company rigging wiring and fixing stage pieces. So the tool will see a lot of work... so it has to be a real tool.

What are the recomendations of this forum?

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
I like the tried and true Leatherman. Right now I have a Micra on my key chain and a WAVE in my backpack (I use a wheelchair so a belt is not very useful). I was also able to get both at my local COSTCO so the price was good.

Ed

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think the WAVE is as beefy or rugged as the Super Tool. That and I don't need the one hand opening thing for the blade. I have my Boa for that. If I didn't, and didn't need such a hard use tool, the wave would be perfect.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
When I was shopping I narrowed it down to the Wave and another (the Pulse maybe?). Costco had the Wave packaged with a flashlight in a belt sheath so that made it a no-brainer.

The CRUNCH might be what you need, check here:

http://www.leatherman.com/

Ed

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered the Supertool 200 today. I was thinking about the Wave but this one is much more rugged with more emphasis on tool than on being super. Nothing fancy about it... I like the selection of tools in it. Like the fact that the tools lock.
Should be quite handy. We shall see.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's come in quite handy already...
Too many things have been accomplished with it and I've only had it for a week. How did I get by without it?
:lol:
The Super Tool 200 is beefy. Feels twice as strong as a Gerber. Beefier than the Wave. The Wire Cutters are indeed wire cutters and I used them even on 1/4" Steel Cable with little problem. Blades are sharp, screw drivers drive screws, files file... It's a dandy tool box.
Would have liked a finer philips head, and scissors as well... but this is going to work. Besides, I have a Swiss Army on my Key Chain so I dont really need scissors and those little bits. Unlike some multi-tools... this one is designed for hard work, not occasional light work.
Since I strive not to have to ever work too hard, and that this thing has a 25 (WOW!) warranty, I'm going to have this for a long - long time.
Ordered it from a cool online store too...
http://www.amback.com/

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Sounds great! I have yet to be disappointed by Leatherman tools.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The other one I was considering was the Charge XTi.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts