Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Mas Ayoob's "Backwoods Home" blog (link below) comes the somber assessment from law enforcement experts that terror attacks such as the ones that occured in Mumbai and Beslan are likely to take place in the US. Truly a sobering, frightening idea, and a prospect that should encourage all of us to carry wherever it is legal at all times, to carry the most effective firearm we can practically conceal, to maintain our skill level as best we can, and, above all, to always be alert. I have successfully encouraged my brother and sister in law to obtain Oklahoma concealed carry licenses, and information like this leads me to gently urge all my responsible friends and family to do the same.

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
One can expect that such attacks would most likely come in the "gun-free zones" (AKA "target-rich environments") of antigun states/cities, schools, churches, government buildings, and so forth.

Gee-haddies might be insane and evil, but they're not stupid. :evil:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, Snake, but even in areas where concealed carry isn't verboten we must still be alert. Not afraid or paranoid, of course, but alert. Places like shopping malls, crowded business districts, sporting events, concerts, etc are likely targets...sporting events and concerts especially because they pack thousands of people into a relatively small space and concealed carry is almost always prohibited there. Most do provide abundant security personnel but how well they would deal with such an attack is questionable.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
It's often occurred to me that places like Disney World or Six Flags would make extremely tempting terrorist targets. Large number of people, lots of women and children, with guns forbidden or not likely to be carried, and virtually no police presence.

Scary.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
gobetween said:
IrishCop said:
…places like Disney World or Six Flags would make extremely tempting terrorist targets.
IIRC, see Tom Clancy, "Rainbow Six."
One of my favorite Clancy novels. I'd forgotten about that. That's where the terrorists killed the litytle girl in the wheelchair, and then the sniper intentionally gut shot the bad guy, at some kinda Euro Disney World, right?

·
Registered
632 Posts
IrishCop said:
That's where the terrorists killed the litytle girl in the wheelchair, and then the sniper intentionally gut shot the bad guy, at some kinda Euro Disney World, right?
It's been a long time, but that sounds about right. Switzerland comes to mind, maybe. That part of the story occurs at the beginning of the novel, within the first 100 pages or so, and functions to introduce the characters and their backstory. The main thrust of the book involves eco-terrorism, which I hadn't really heard much about before then. This was in 1998. 'Only Tom Clancy novel I've ever read, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've forgotten his name, but I recall a reporter who lived thru the Mumbai massacre lamenting that, if only he'd had a gun instead of a camera he could've accounted for several terrorists.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Link no-worky for me, Captain. Am open to the possibility of a ca'puter malfunction here, since I have grandchildren that love to download games, papaw!

Is this the wrong place to put this??::: GRAPHIC was one of OBL's buds, linked by one of our Forum buddies (forget which and where) that looked like a sabot slug and his mother-wad met the chin...along with a floor in the 'compound' that looked like the bed of my truck during deer season...like blood and clabber...

You know what Israel thinks of us? "You Americans don't believe that Evil really exists!" Blood is for movies, and we don't go to those kind...

That's tip o' the iceberg, brethren, but I will refrain, since it's MOTHER'S DAY.

·
Registered
822 Posts
JJ said:
Link no-worky for me, Captain. Am open to the possibility of a ca'puter malfunction here, since I have grandchildren that love to download games, papaw!
Retry the link, and click on the blue HTML text of this sentence:

"You can download the full report here -Mumbai Reconstruction (numbers)".

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks for your help and patience, Captain. Link worked--must be a "Monday" thang...

I read about cops "fleeing," but I'm reminded of an essay by one Bill Whittle called "Tribes." It has nothing to do with race, ethnicity nor melanin levels in the skin, but a total treatment of "Desire to Serve." He basically says, and I paraphrase, "Cops in my tribe run IN TO burning buildings..." obviously talking 9/11.

You might enjoy Whittle. He's a pilot, but hey--we can't ALL be ground-pounders...look for pajamas media dot com, or the three words a co-pilot hates (while he loves them!) which are ejectejecteject dot com.

And thanks for your service AND your insight, soldier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts