Gunhub.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a pic of my CMP M1 Garand, received as a "Service Grade" back in 2000. It was stored away for almost 4 years until this last week, when working late-evenings I detail-stripped, cleaned, lubed, and went to the arduous task of rehabilitating the tar/pitch-stained stock (looked terrible).

Anyway, after a week's worth of evenings, the end result is a she's looking resplendent again, and all dressed up and ready for the range!

Hmm...now I'm so tempted to get another "beater" Greek Rack Grade M1....but the wallet...

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Very nice, I really like the reddish orange stain on the stock. I'm guessing you used chestnut ridge or Fiebings leather dye?

Looks great!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Used a bunch of different solvents, the harshest of which was Gun Scrubber (essentially brake cleaner) to get the tar/pitch stains off.

That left "dead spots" on the wood, where it had completely removed any/all oil in the wood.

So, after a thorough cleaning with Castrol Purple Cleaner, I started with applications of 1:1 BLO/Mineral Spirits, applied with a brush, permitted to permeate, followed by 0000 Steel Wool. When the 1:1 mix wouldn't absorb quickly anymore, I followed with pure BLO hand-rubbing applications (not having any Tung Oil on hand).

Believe it or not, that is the color that the rifle stock came in. I didn't use any stain at all, because I kind of liked that "chestnut" color (even when it was dirty) that it came in.

HTH!

Thanks again for the compliments.

·
Registered
302 Posts
That's when they look the best.......when you get that 40+ year old patina that is so hard to duplicate. That's what I hope mine looks like when she's done. Good Job!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts