Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
starts this weekend as the outdoor season, already in full swing in some parts of the world, and despite the recent running of the Penn Relays, gets off to an "official" start with the Home Depot Invitational. If you want to see women who can run the "football 40" as fast as your favorite wide receiver and men who can run a lap over hurdles faster than your favorite top high school sprinter and a lot of college guys can run it flat then tune in. Lots more as well.

Check usatf.org for times and channel

:cheerschug:

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know that besides myself, there are only 13 other fans of this age old sport in the country, but if you did happen to watch, you saw a great show, and perhaps the return of the greatest 100 meter sprinter of all time to top form, Mo Greene. Oh, and if you did watch, and you saw more than 13 people in the stands (I watched at home), don't be a wise guy. It was only 13 Americans, the rest of the fans flew in from Europe and Japan!!! :wink:

And that was only the beginning folks. It's an Olympic year, and everybody will be on their "game" :shock: :D this season. You're in for a treat. And as for BALCO, well, we'll talk about that later, after the season. . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
111 Posts
As a former track coach, I agree with you 100%. It's a great sport. I just wish it were a little more popular. However, my vote for the greatest 100 meter sprinter goes to Bob Hayes. As I recall, he only lost once at this distance. In the1964 olympics, he won the 100 meter dash easily and then ran perhaps the greatest 4x100 relay leg of all time, getting the baton in 5th place and blowing past the greatest sprinters in the world to win the gold medal.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was probably Bob Hayes that made the greatest early impression on me as far as becoming a fan of this wonderful sport. There is no doubt that with weight training, today's supplements and Mondo surfaces that Bob Hayes would HAVE BEEN COMPETITIVE TODAY with the greatest 100 meter sprinters of our time, and that's WITHOUT SPEAKING of performance enhancing drugs and the ability to mask them. No argument here.

Hayes' incredible 100 meter leg in the '64 Olympics just might be the fastest that any human being has ever run. Sadly, the clocks and "starting system" in effect today were not then, and we'll never know. We'll also never know what he would have done today, but there's no doubt in anyone's mind he would have been competitive. That's right folks, if you think the athletes of yesteryear couldn't have stood up to today's crop, you might be right, across the board, . . .

EXCEPT when you get to Bob Hayes. Thanks for the reminder, FLM. I'll still take Greene for greatest of all time, who only lost three times in five seasons, one of those being on a false start that wasn't called back because of an equipment malfunction.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bloof, it looks like your man Maurice is back. He'd better watch his rear view though, he's got two young guns on his trail. :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, Mo's back, but those young guns are all smokin' and no jokin'. :D

The final was Mo's 47th sub-10. :eek:mg: :eek:mg: :eek:mg:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts