Gunhub.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my SKS at the Enid gun show a few weeks back and is it ever a beauty.It's a RussianSKS with the numbers on the bolt and reciever and stock matching. And stars and 1951 stamped into the side of the buttstock and on top of the reciever.

I read on some gun board that the older an sks is the better it was likely to have been made.Is that correct?

The rifle has a shiny stained and laqquered stock,but the wooden part housing the...gas cylinder tube is dull and beat up looking and the steel part of the tube in front of the tube has letters and numbers engraved (looks like with one of those buzzing pencil deals that writes on steel) on it that match the numbers on reciever and stock.

Around the big screw throught the stock under the tangent sight are 4 diamond shaped markings with a number inside them.

The buttstock compartment contains the cleaning kit.It is all there,according toa friend of mine who looked at it.

The bayonet is coated with some shiny gold stuff like stain in the steel.What is that?

The #s on the trigger match all the others.What is this little indented looking deal that goes into the notch behind the trigger guard?

Is $185.00 a good price for this rifle?

It hits where I aim it out at a distance,but shoots low close up.I don't quite hace this tangent sight figured out yet.I need to get to a known distance range and shoot.

I hear that some sks's have been refurbished at the commie arsenal in Vladivostok or some place.Might this rifle have been fixed up spmewhere like that?

Looking for lots of information here.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
good price

russian guns were shellacked. orange shellac is cheap. denatured acohol takes it right off. it is very easy to repair.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Not just a good price, but a great price! They go for $300 or more here! :( The Russians are some of the best SKS's out there, with IMHO, the Chinese and Yugos tying for second. I recall that one of the reasons the older Russians were better is because they have a firing pin return spring-virtually eliminating the possibility of slam-fire, but it's just one more thing to machine, so they dropped it later on. Even if yours doesn't have the spring, you can avoid slam-fires by #1 keeping the firing pin clean (I usually will soak the bolt in Hoppes #9 and then trickle a few drops of good oil down the firing pin, work it back and for a few times to get the oil distributed, and then wiping off all of the excess), #2 being careful what ammo you use, my gun loves UMC and Winchester, but some people have had slam fires with them. If you are not sure, then only load one, if the gun goes off when the bolt closes (make sure it is shouldered and you have a firm grip before releasing the bolt!) then don't use that type of ammo.

When using the cleaning kit in the buttstock, be careful about that little gate thing, it hurts really badly if it slams on your fingers, trust me, it's happened twice to me already :cry: . That stuff on your bayonet sounds like a grease, maybe cosmo. You can use a solvent to get it off, but obviously keep it away from the stock.

The "I" marking on the rear sight is for "infinity" or the "all purpose" battle setting. I don't remember for sure, but I think it is about 400 and something meters. The rest is just increments of 100 meters, so far setting it it "1" has worked well for me.

For more info, you can check out this website;
http://www.simonov.net/main.htm

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
What is this little indented looking deal that goes into the notch behind the trigger guard?
I think you are talking about the release for removing the trigger assembly. That's definately not something to mess with until you get a manual, manuvering the trigger assembly is kinda tricky. If you get a replacement magazine, you will have to remove the trigger in order to get the magazine out (assuming you have the standard fixed magazine).

G

·
0 Posts
yeh. my rusky ended up i guess being just under 300$

I bought it MINT right out of the cosmo.... 1954r tula.

I paid 400$ and got the SKS Rifle... W/ Perfect stock, Bayonet, Sling. Also with a Choate Dragonuv Stock set, and a Choate Sporter stock...
Recoil buffer... and 200 rnds of 762x39 AP
and finaly a pin on Recoil reducer.

I like it...

GOOD JOB ON YOUR 1st SKS... I HOPE YOUR HAPPY WITH IT!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Would you recommend a pin-on muzzle brake/flash supressor for the SKS? I've seen 'em around for as little as $12 all the way up to $100.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Very good price. Look around the front sight post and see if a number is stamped there. I've been told the lower the number the more accurate the rifle. The number will be 1, 2, or 3. Mine is a 1953 Russian and it loves Wolf ammo. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The number on the front of the front sight housing is a 1.The gold stuff on the bayonet isn't grease,it seems to be a finish of some kind.Mine doesn't slamfire.

·
Registered
328 Posts
skslover said:
I think you are talking about the release for removing the trigger assembly. That's definately not something to mess with until you get a manual, manuvering the trigger assembly is kinda tricky.
If that is tricky, you must have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time :roll: :eek: :roll: :eek:

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
CowtownBallin said:
Would you recommend a pin-on muzzle brake/flash supressor for the SKS? I've seen 'em around for as little as $12 all the way up to $100.
a muzzle brake for a SKS? why???? they don't recoil.

·
Registered
420 Posts
delloro said:
CowtownBallin said:
Actually I find the SKS has alot of recoil. Not blistering, punishing, recoil but for the size of the cartridge the gun recoils hard. I think this has to do with the 5 pound bolt carrier slamming back with such force. AK's don't recoil like that and they are a bit lighter and fire the same cartridge. A muzzle brake won't do anything on an SKS to reduce the recoil though.

·
Registered
447 Posts
delloro said:
CowtownBallin said:
Because I'm a gun poser :lol: It looks better than just the barrel itself sitting there. I have a yugo M59, so it doesn't have the GL or CA muzzlebrake on it, and it looks like something's missing.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Tim, it's tricky until you remember you can clamp it down and not have the rest of the gun move on you. :oops: :lol:

CowtownBallin, be careful with the pin-ons, I've heard that they sometimes wiggle foward, get a small gap in between the barrel and brake, and then the next time you shoot, the gases go into the gap and send the brake downrange! :eek: :lol: The twist and pins are supposed to be the best from what I've heard, but I've got a Yugo, so that grenade launcher prevents me from putting anything on the muzzle...oh well, I'll just have to get another one!

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
skslover said:
Tim, it's tricky until you remember you can clamp it down and not have the rest of the gun move on you. :oops: :lol:

CowtownBallin, be careful with the pin-ons, I've heard that they sometimes wiggle foward, get a small gap in between the barrel and brake, and then the next time you shoot, the gases go into the gap and send the brake downrange! :eek: :lol: The twist and pins are supposed to be the best from what I've heard, but I've got a Yugo, so that grenade launcher prevents me from putting anything on the muzzle...oh well, I'll just have to get another one!
I have personally witnessed a pin-on MB go sailing downrange from an AK type. At that same range I picked up a rusted MB downrange that had been hit by a bullet.

Don't go too cheap.

G

·
0 Posts
delloro said:
skslover said:

I have personally witnessed a pin-on MB go sailing downrange from an AK type. At that same range I picked up a rusted MB downrange that had been hit by a bullet.

Don't go too cheap.
Lock-tite.... and the responsability to make sure the screw it tight every time....

·
Registered
745 Posts
Awesome price! Reminds me of a friend who bought one about 9 years ago. He paid $130. The chinese ones were going for $99. I'm shocked at how much they are selling for today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took it apart last night

and cleaned it.It got kind of hairy getting the trigger group back in .It wasn't dirty ay all so I probably won't take it out again.I couldn't get the bolt apart,I couldn't drive the retaining pin out and I was leery of pounding it out with a punch and hammer.What if I soak the bolt assembly in some solvent?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts