Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are just too DAMN MANY choices out there!!!! When I first started trying to decide what I wanted, I figured it was going to be easy!! My equation was relatively simple...

Most non-tentacle mangling fire power+small-average size guy concealability divided by the cost=Happy Shooting Squid! Should be simple...BOY WAS I EVER WRONG!!!

Now, pushing six months later, I don't feel much closer to a decision.

So far, in this quest, I've gotten my hands dirty with three guns, by going and renting them at a great range here. I shot a Glock 23 and 23C (I started with the C, and then one of the guys brought over a non-ported barrel and slide...and my shots got better---go figure), but found that I didn't particularly care for the Glock grip angle...fine shooting gun, but after about 85 rounds, I knew it wasn't really me.

I managed to put about 15 rounds through a Sig 229...but the second half of that second mag turned into a jam-clearing drill...I finally downloaded the last five rounds and ran them through the Glock.

My third pick was a S&W Model 66 w/ a 2" barrel. Damn could I shoot the hell out of that thing. And accurate...unexpectedly so with such a short pipe. I could put a LOUD shot wherever I wanted it, no problem. But EVERY shot felt like a punch to my often-broken highly sensitive nose. Even though I LOVED the way it shot the 100 full-house .357 loads I put through it, my nose hated me for about an hour afterwards.

Surprising to me after all I've read, but this first experience with .40 S&W and .357 Mag ammo was nowhere near the recoil-fest that I was expecting. Shooting the two polymer .40s didn't feel that different to me from my experience shooting the (much heavier) Beretta 92 M9 9mm out of my former ship's armory. And the .357...yes, it kicks like a mule...and my hand was kinda sore afterwards. But it was still eminently controllable.

All in all, the $70 or so I spent for this excursion was (pardon the pun) an absolute blast and more than worth it. And the time that the store personnel spent answering my neophyte questions was invaluable. So, guess what...I think I'm heading back there later on, maybe today once I get off duty. If they finally have an XD40 to rent, maybe I'll shoot some more .40 guns. If not, I think it's time to try some 1911s. Maybe both!!!

Dave :2guns: :readingpb:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
FWIW: I think you're going about this in exactly the right way.

Just keep trying guns until you find one that speaks to you. Don't be surprised if that is a 1911 :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yup, lots of choices and not very many really bad guns being made today.

I know you don't want to do it but you are just going to have to keep shooting different guns. Sorry, but that's the lAW.

ps: once you find one you can stop and never have to do this again. NOT!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just keep trying guns until you find one that speaks to you.
That seems to be the best advice I've gotten from anybody around. Those that don't have some agenda have all told me research and shoot, and you'll find your baby. But Baskin-Robbins has NOTHING on trying to make a first personal gun purchase!!

Dave :readingpb: :dunno:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know you don't want to do it but you are just going to have to keep shooting different guns. Sorry, but that's the lAW.

ps: once you find one you can stop and never have to do this again. NOT!
Don't want to do it? "Oh please don't throw me into that there Brier Patch!" My new motto is "too many guns, not enough ammo to try 'em all" That's one law I won't have any trouble abiding by!

And yep...I think I've found what I want to collect. Stamps and coins were never my thing <g>

Dave

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
Dave, if you give a snubbie .357 another try, stoke it with 125 grain JHPs from either Federal or Remington. I've got a S&W 640-1 with a barrel just over 2" and it's a b**ch with 158 grain full house maggies but nice with the lighter stuff. I've got it loaded with R-P Golden Sabers...

And Charlie's right (as usual), you're doing it right; try before you buy.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Well let's not forget shooting .38 Sp. load in the .357, too. My M60 3" is chambered for .357, but I rarely shoot that, sticking instead to .38 Sp. That's some fun shooting.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Way to go Dave!!

What Mr. Charlie said, but I have a some questions for you...

The gun you're looking for will be your CCW or mostly a glove compartment pistol?

Not interested in 9mm?

Planning on doing any type of practical competition shooting (IPSC, IDPA...)? Check them out! These are not tactical/urban jungle survival training but indeed a great way to hone your gun handling and shooting skills.

Anyway, try them all and you will find the one, or should I say the ones...

Cheers,
Nemo

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nemo,

My idea for this first gun is that it meet the following criteria:

1. Shoot at least decent...with an inexperienced but reasonably talented (according to the military, anyway--Marksman Pistol, Sharpshooter Rifle) guy behind the trigger

2. Not kick so hard as to rip the tentacles off'n this small-framed squid (And the .357 didn't...it kicked hard, but BOY was it fun!...other than the blast to my beak <g>) I want to WANT to shoot it!

3. Be reasonably concealable, again, on a small frame (5'7", 185) I do intend to get a CHL.

As to my background, I've put somewhere in excess of 1000 rounds downrange through a Beretta 9mm M9...annual quals and all...probably 2-300 through an M-14...a couple mags through some SEAL MP-5's, and maybe 2-300 more combined rounds through various other weapons--BMG, 25mm, M-60, SAW, etc. (It was FUN having SEALS and Force Recon aboard who didn't want to offload all their ammo when there was all that beautiful ocean to poke holes in!!!! :biggun:

Anyway, to answer you directly, no I have not eliminated 9mm. I'm open to and willing to shoot just about anything. That's what got this thread started...too many choices, and not enough cash for me to try ALL of them!!!!!!

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
" I want to WANT to shoot it! "

Has anyone questioned your sanity lately?

I absolutely relate to shooting off the fantail but fail to see how that compares to shooting something that is painful. That's what snubby .357s are... and if you really want to learn how to flinch that should be your first choice... unless you'd like to go for the gold and get a 20 odd ounce .44 magnum.
:lol:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Gun games

David,

I didn't mean to get your shooting resume, just asked to know if you intended to do some sort of sports shooting with the handgun that you're looking to buy, and if you're not planning to I recommend you do. It's fun and like I said, it will help you a lot.

If I was in the market for just one gun that would serve as my PDW and double as a recreational shooter/plinker and even IDPA acceptable, I'd look into the size range of a Commander sized 1911, Glock 19, SIG P-229 or XD compact, even one of the S&W autos (5906) among many others. They are all in the 4" barrell length vicinity. Personally, shorter barrells get hard to shoot accurately.

Now it's all up to you on how fat you want it (gripframe size and angle), action/trigger (SA, DA-SA, DAO, Glock-action) and how much $$$ you want to spend.

If you ask me... I would save a little more and get me a black chromed .40S&W, commander length, STI 2011 with Heinie sights and a sweet 4.0 lb trigger. Then again, that's only if you ask me...

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CP- I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying...could be I wasn't too clear. I want to want to take whatever gun I buy out and shoot. I don't want to end up with a "safe queen" that I dislike to take to the range.

Nemo--I'm actually intending to try some competitive shooting. Like I said, I want to have the fun, as well as the security. And all those guns you mentioned are still on my list, although anything Glock is quickly being eliminated. So far, the front runners in my mind are the XD, a couple of Tauruses (Tauri?? <g>), a couple from Para, and a couple others I can't recall off the top of my head...it's WORSE than when I was shopping for cars or computers...and I LOVE it!!

Dave

·
Registered
356 Posts
Sub

Sorry to break it to you, but there are about as many types of competitive shooting as there are makes of handguns. ;) :(

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
Jar, you say that like it's a bad thing.... :hypercolor:

·
Registered
183 Posts
St. John Moses invention

David,

Here's another piece of unsolicited advice... :p

Every gun owner/buff MUST have in their personal arenal at least one variant of the model of 1911. Why don't you try one of those next? If you get to try one that's "right" you'll see that it would fit all your immediate handgunning needs.

The gripframe width and angle of the 1911 is the one of the most one-size-fits-all of the handguns out there, in my opinion together with the BHP and the CZ75.

A good ol' 45 would serve as an excellent PDW! Its very flat profile makes it easy to tote and even the ones with bad triggers are easier to shoot than a DA auto. With 7 to 10 rounds of 45acp modern defensive ammo, you would be equipped to tackle any defense scenario that the common man could encounter.

Also, with a 1911 you would be equipped to shoot IPSC, IDPA, bullseye, bowling pins, you name it. You would have the pistol for which more aftermarmet parts and accessories are available to make it more accurate, personal or nice-looking.

After you get your first one, you'll find that you just can't have only one... you've been bit... got the bug...

Then I would only be able to say: Welcome!
8)
Nemo

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
Re: St. John Moses invention

Nemo said:
David,

Here's another piece of unsolicited advice... :p

The gripframe width and angle of the 1911 is the one of the most one-size-fits-all of the handguns out there, in my opinion together with the BHP and the CZ75.
I'd recommend David try both the 1911 and 1911A1 style pistols. I've changed my 1967 A1 Government Model to a flat main spring housing ala 1911. Some will find the A1 arched house fits them better. Or he might find that either work for him and it becomes a matter of esthetics.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A1

Yes, what Sam said! Guess I don't have my 1911 terminology 100% down. When I say 1911, I do mean 1911A1 and really what I'm referring to are the more modern ones with the newer style beavertails and safeties and good modern sights.

Guess a good place to start would be the Kimbers and Springfield loaded versions.

Hasta mañana!
:wink:
Nemo

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sorry to break it to you, but there are about as many types of competitive shooting as there are makes of handguns
Don't I know it!

I visited a nearby gun club a few weeks ago. They were having a Police Combat match. I wasn't really expecting to be invited to participate but just to be safe I brought my 9mm XD, a belt holster, single mag carrier and two magazines (all I have for the gun until Sept 14th).

I was actually invited to participate and had a great time, scoring at the top of my (low-ranking) class. I think some rules were bent to allow me to participate, though. It was the first match I had participated in since a CMP Garand match about two years ago.

There were two others shooting semiautomatics, one some sort of polymer 1911 (STI I think but I'm not certain) and the other a customized P220. Everyone else had competition revolvers. It slowly dawned on me, Police Combat=PPC. PPC? Oh yeah, revolvers!

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Actually there are two classes in PPC now and it takes both pistol and revolver to win the national championship. The rules changed in the early 90s to allow autoloaders and a few years later to make the chamoionship a combination. Kinda neat actually.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts