Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local favorite gun shop changed owners a while back. The new owner is a good man with a true love of guns and an already successful businessman.

He always had plans to expand from a local small Gun and Pawn to a larger store with a LOT of inventory.

And he did just that.

The new store is still in the little city of Hartselle, Alabama in what used to be a NAPA auto parts store. He revamped the place almost by himself, and it is a MAJOR improvement.

A nice inventory of firearms (they are a Colt and Kimber dealer), has a wall of black rifles with everything from Colt to Noveske to HK and more, a great selection of handguns, lots of knives from tactical to high dollar hand made fixed blades. All kinds of related goodies. Just a great store.

BUT...and this isn't a criticism, really, just a fact of life...He has succeeded in drawing in a HUGE increase in customers, and is doing a really good business there. As a consequence of success, the old town small business lets stop at the gun store and BS for an hour or two is unfortunately gone.

The manager and sales folks are still the same friendly, knowledgeable folks, but they are so busy that the "let's shoot the breeze for a while" moments just aren't practical now. I kinda miss that.

But if anybody is ever up in this neck of the woods, Mikes Gun and Pawn in Hartselle Alabama is worth a stop to check it out. It really is a great place for firearms and accessories. Tell'em TK told you about it. :)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Geez, Terry, that's a great testament to businessman who's trying to do the right thing.

Why not show him this post? At the same time, why not suggest that he find a quiet corner to place two or three chairs, a cool fan in the summer, and maybe a wood-burning stove in the winter. If the staff doesn't have time to chat, at least a few customers can sit around and lend the place a small-town homey feeling.

We could use a little less "Big Box" and a little more "Floyd's Barber Shop" in this country.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
One good thing about being on disability was hitting the local shop on weekday mornings when the only other folks around were retired or the UPS and/or Letter carrier. Plenty of time to look and touch and as you say, shoot the breeze.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Wow! Gotta get down there sometime soon!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Jim, that's a great idea and I just might do that. But I want to bide my time and not rock his boat any. Believe me, he has invested a TON of money in this new operation, and moving guns out the door is absolutely vital. He's only been at the new location for about two months and I don't want to rock his boat any. Maybe after hunting season and the holidays, it might be doable.

Ed, I do agree. There a more than a few times I was able be at the old shop before they opened and spend some great hours there talking guns and solving the worlds problems.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! Gotta get down there sometime soon!
Tommy, I honestly think there is no better gun shop in Morgan County. Better than anything in Decatur, and I personally think better than anything in Huntsville or Athens or Madison.

Just take 31 South into Hartselle. Cross Hwy 36, you'll pass a Krogers on the right, just past that on the right is Mikes. Be prepared to be tempted. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts