Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...appropriately just up the street from the Tower of London.

For you sticklers, I did drop in and tell them that it should be "Hanged".

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
CaptainGyro,

In the "fwiw department", a pub in Earl's Court (Also called Kangaroo Gulch for the large number of Diggers & Kiwis that live there) opened at a former pawnbroker's site, which featured the 3 golden hanging balls on a sign & the building next door had an advertisement featuring a large metal rooster. - Regular patrons called the pub THE COCK & BALLS so frequently that the owners finally submitted to the settled "nickname"/reality & renamed the pub what everyone nearby called it anyway.
(TRUE story. = Brits are "just a bit odd".)

yours, sw

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm very familiar with the Earl's Court neighborhood...I get there quite regularly. I'll make it a point to find the "Cock & Balls".

Along the same lines, my Dad used to belong to a private club for attorneys in New York City. This club had designated their restrooms as "The Jury Rooms". The signs on the doors said "Hung" and "Split".

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
CaptainGyro,

GREAT pub food there!!!! =====> The Irish Stew is excellent, cheap & served in large bowls.
(I have a theory that the British Empire became so large because Brits were looking allover the globe for something fit to eat. -Pub food & fish & chips are my favorites in the UK. The other food, NOT so much.)

yours, sw

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In addition to the great pub fare, the remnants of empire have come home to roost in London, and you can find some pretty good asian restaurants. Indian predominates, but Thai is also very popular (a crossover from the British presence in Burma and Malaysia, I guess).

Given the Hong Kong colony, you'd expect some pretty decent Chinese also, but I haven't found it yet.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I'm fond of the name "The Shamrock and Shillelagh Pub" as far as I know it's only fictional.

Hung is right when death does not result. The Brits had some VERY nasty ways of dispatching their victims of persecution.

Geoff
Whose father was a bit of a Grammerian.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
CaptainGyro,

I note that you didn't defend "traditional British foods" as good or even edible.
(CHUCKLE)

There is a place in Earl's Court called THE WHITE TIGER that has EXCELLENT/blazingly HOT curries of several sorts.
(Fwiw, I'm an "honorary Digger" & used to hang out, in my mis-spent youth, with the Shielas.)

yours, satx

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Speak for your self. ;)
First off, Ed...:rotflmao::rotflmao::bow::bow:

Second, I do regret never having visited Great Britain while living in Europe.
West Berlin (lived there...got to look over the wall at East Berlin but couldn't visit because of what my father did in the USAF) West Germany, France and Spain. Just never crossed the channel. Oh well...

But I would like to try some authentic British Fish and Chips. A Steak and Kidney Pie, not so much. ;)

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Kevin Gibson,

At least when I was young/single, the C&B was "THE PLACE" to go to meet/"mess about with" the fetching/young & often "near nekkid" Shielas.
(In that era, some of "the more daring YLs" used to ink "clever messages" on their cheeks. = Mini-skirts were THAT short in those long ago days/DAZE!!!)

yours, satx

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
First off, Ed...:rotflmao::rotflmao::bow::bow:

Second, I do regret never having visited Great Britain while living in Europe.
West Berlin (lived there...got to look over the wall at East Berlin but couldn't visit because of what my father did in the USAF) West Germany, France and Spain. Just never crossed the channel. Oh well...

But I would like to try some authentic British Fish and Chips. A Steak and Kidney Pie, not so much. ;)
In Germany did you ever try the Curry Wurst? (I think that's what it was called).

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
In Germany the Bratwurst with brotchen was heavenly. Specially if they were having a Fest of some kind and it was cooked over charcoal, the mustard was pretty good too.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
In Germany did you ever try the Curry Wurst? (I think that's what it was called).
Heck, Ed, there was a Curry Wurst stand on every corner...well, almost. That, an order of Pomme Frites, brotchen and a beer was on the menu at least a couple of times a week.

Great food, and an amazing city to be a teenager in the early 70's. Lot of great memories there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts