Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn, getting old is a bitch. I have been carrying a Ruger LC9LM for several years. I initially didn't like the long trigger pull so I did a trigger pull shortening mod which helped but the pull is still longer than I like. But, now I have developed arthritis in my trigger finger that limits my pull length and strength. I cannot fire the LC9 without assisting my right hand trigger finger with my left hand trigger finger, ie, two fingers on the trigger. I had surgery on the finger to correct its limited travel but it didn't help. I am looking for a new CCW weapon that has a lighter and significantly shorter trigger pull than the LC9. And while I am at it I would like the weapon to be somewhat smaller and have a lighter slide force. Yes I am also getting weaker and have difficulty working the slide rapidly. I will consider a revolver if one fits my needs. Any and all suggestions on what I should look at will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I'm a big fan of Smith j-frames and pocket carry, no slide to rack and no potential malfunctions to clear.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The S&W EZ series is much larger. The Walther CCP might work, but it is slightly larger and has a safety. The SIG 938 may be hard to rack and is a mini-1911 style cocked and locked gun, smaller but kicks harder. My best solution so far is a larger Kahr P9094N recoil wise I think I'd like the full stainless steel version, but it is expensive. Geoff Who carries Hornady Low Recoil 9mm in the Kahr and Hornady Low recoil .38 Special in a S&W Model 638.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies Walt and Skeptic. The J-frames look like a prime candidate. Being able to fire single action fits my finger problem well. I will find a few of the models and see how they feel. So many models to choose from. I really like the S&W EZ but it is too large. I haven't seen the Kahr you mention but will check one out. If the gun is right, price is secondary.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The Kahr CM series is reasonably priced, and much more available than the more expensive pistols. The trigger on the Kahr is close to a good DA revolver, so it may not fit your needs.
Geoff
Who is considering options.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have made my decision. I have ordered a S&W 637 with Crimson Trace laser grip in 38 sp. I had stopped in at our local Ace hardware gun shop to get the feel of a J frame and the owner said that his personal carry was a J frame and highly recommended it. I also discussed my needs with a friend that owns and has handled several small automatics and he said if he got a revolver it would be a Feather Weight J frame and he felt it met my needs.. I went shopping on the internet and found several but the price was generally above list plus cost of shipping and FFL fees or not available. I decided to buy local and called the Ace shop and told him what I wanted and asked him what the price would be. I was astounded at the reasonable price he quoted and told him I would be in to place the order and he said ordering by phone was all I needed to do and no deposit was required. He warned that delivery could be slow since all his J frame orders are on back order and mine probably would be, too. I am OK with waiting, no rush here. I am glad I decided to go local and will continue to make that my first choice.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Find a gunsmith with a good reputation for doing J-frame trigger jobs. The pull can be MUCH improved by an expert. I don't know if the S&W Custom shop does this. Geoff Who has had offers made by people who tried the pull on his Model 38. My arthritic wife annexed it. My replacement Model 638 is no where near as good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Find a gunsmith with a good reputation for doing J-frame trigger jobs. The pull can be MUCH improved by an expert. I don't know if the S&W Custom shop does this. Geoff Who has had offers made by people who tried the pull on his Model 38. My arthritic wife annexed it. My replacement Model 638 is no where near as good.
Thanks, that is good info. If I feel I need better trigger pull on my new 637 I will look for a gunsmith to do an upgrade.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The S&W custom shop does have a package deal. See the website. Was listed at $165, details not included.
Geoff
Who doesn't know the current local prices, especially in these uncertain times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts