Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well as you can tell i need some help lol
i do not usally do this, meaning joining forums and sites and what not, not a social media guy either. (not hating each to their own)
but i have looked everywhere on the internet that i know of and can not find my gun anywhere. so if i could get some help i would greatly appreciate it.
the number is: 3500346

Attachments

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
My George Madis Winchester Book says that gun was made in 1906.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My George Madis Winchester Book says that gun was made in 1906.
Holy Crap really!! i knew it was old but i did not think i would be that lucky!! i mean im never going to sell it , just thought it was gunna be a newer one thats all. THANK YOU SO MUCH MAN!!!

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
BigDRon, Something seemed "off" about that..... I re-checked my Madis book (they break down individual rifles by serial number, say, SN 1234 through 9876 attributed to year 1922, for example) . But first, my eyesight may be off, this website is in a new and different format I'm not used to, but when I first read your post I read the serial number as 350346. Upon rereading it it is 3500346. 3,500,346. The Madis book I have does not have the 1894 Winchester rifle listed in the three million range. I can't make out the number on the underside of the rifle in the picture.
But in honesty I have to say that something is wrong. If the number really is 3500346 then for some odd reason my Madis book does not list 1894s in that range ..... and I see no explanation for this.

But, I now think the information I gave was wrong .......

There are others on this site who have different sources that might be a help.

I apologize for this error.

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
I found a source that puts that SN in 1971. What makes you think the rifle is pre-'64?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I found a source that puts that SN in 1971. What makes you think the rifle is pre-'64?
I can't say when that gun was made; my listing of Winchester 1894 serial numbers stops Waaaay before the 3 million range. I don't know why. Originally I misread the s.n.

Your sources might be better. I'd accept 1971 as a answer at this point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the guy who sold it to me said it was lol bought it when i was 18 am 32 now. also all the research i did says its a pre 64. plus i just had it in a gunsmith shop and he said its a pre 64 lol
i will take your word for it, but im still leaning towards it being a pre 64

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't say when that gun was made; my listing of Winchester 1894 serial numbers stops Waaaay before the 3 million range. I don't know why. Originally I misread the s.n.

Your sources might be better. I'd accept 1971 as a answer at this point.
yea everywhere i find stops waaaay before the 3 million range lol

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
the guy who sold it to me said it was lol bought it when i was 18 am 32 now. also all the research i did says its a pre 64. plus i just had it in a gunsmith shop and he said its a pre 64 lol
i will take your word for it, but im still leaning towards it being a pre 64
What specifically--not what a couple guys said--makes you think it's pre-'64? What research did you find that makes you think so?

Remember, 1971 is still 50 years ago--a LONG time in terms of today's guns. Hard to believe my very first revolver, bought new, is almost that old now. That must mean I'M old!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What specifically--not what a couple guys said--makes you think it's pre-'64? What research did you find that makes you think so?

Remember, 1971 is still 50 years ago--a LONG time in terms of today's guns. Hard to believe my very first revolver, bought new, is almost that old now. That must mean I'M old!
thats true lol not gunna lie i was a little disappointed when i seen you guys post lol but you make an excellent point, it is still old. not like it was made yesterday. well now that i sat back and thought about it, its only what the guy who sold it to me said and what the gunsmith said. as far as the research, the research i found (years ago back towards when i first bought it) said that if its a pre 64 it will be all steel no plastic parts, if its made after that specific date then it has plastic parts and does not operate as well as a pre 64, also told the blueing does not hold that well either. so i just figured since it says winchester steel on it and there are no plastic parts then it was a pre 64, or so i thought. lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

so do you know for a fact its not a pre-64?

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
so do you know for a fact its not a pre-64?
I'm no more sure of it than you are that it is. All I have to work with is the SN, which works out to 1971. I can't help it if that's not the answer you want to hear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm no more sure of it than you are that it is. All I have to work with is the SN, which works out to 1971. I can't help it if that's not the answer you want to hear.
na my bad if i came of hostile or something. i will go with that lol
thank you for your help, just was clarifying thats all man

1 - 13 of 13 Posts