Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used the kids white crayons and even bought the white scribe all-surface pencil from hobby lobby none of which work very well. I've heard some talk of china marker but I'm not sure what that is. Most of the white lettering I've done dosn't seem to last very long,gun lubes seem to wash it off pretty quickly. What do you guys use,white touch-up paint and a tooth pick or what?

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
I quit doing that back in the '80s, about the same time I took all my bell-bottom jeans to Goodwill. :wink:

But IIRC, I'd use Testor's white model enamel. Slop it in there and then wipe the area off with a rag with some lacquer thinner on it. If you really must do this, that'll work. It'll last till you get sick of looking at it, and then more lacquer thinner will wash it back out. :wink:

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Use a white grease pencil or white china marker. They are the same thing. Clean the area thoroughly with acetone first. Then rub the grease pencil into the lettering and wipe the excess off. You will have to repeat this several times. It helps to sharpen the grease pencil on a piece of semi-coarse sand paper.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Gunsmiths and military armorers use "Lacquer-Stik". This is paint in a solid form.
To use, shave the trip to expose fresh material then just rub it into the stampings.
Use a cloth with a dab of lacquer thinner or Acetone to remove the excess from the surface, leaving the stamping filled.
Allow to dry for an hour then apply a lube to prevent rust.

This is more or less permanent but you can remove it with lacquer thinner and a tooth brush.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7778 ... _STIK_reg_

·
Registered
807 Posts
White Out, or some kind of liquid type writer correction fluid works. Brush it isn, let it set up and dry, white off the excess with a rag with paint thinner or similar. Works well for me.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I will try some of the different methods. I just want to highlight some of the IHC parts on the Harvester so its next owner can readly see them.

Snake I think you should have hung onto those bell-bottoms I think there about to make a comeback. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
ShotShooter said:
Snake I think you should have hung onto those bell-bottoms I think there about to make a comeback. :lol:
Talk to me when you can bring back my 1980s waist size. :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts