Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Oh, you are SUCH a tease!

Wish I could ID it, but I can't. But I have a feeling I've seen it before. It's not that .30 Carbine thing, is it? No, it looks more like a .22 blowback of some kind....

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't worry... the owner will be along shortly.
I will say you are on the right track.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Oh, you are SUCH a tease!

Wish I could ID it, but I can't. But I have a feeling I've seen it before. It's not that .30 Carbine thing, is it? No, it looks more like a .22 blowback of some kind....
Never knew they made a 30 carbine handgun that would be pretty neat.What were the results?must of been iffy?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Never knew they made a 30 carbine handgun that would be pretty neat.What were the results?must of been iffy?
They did make one, I don't remember much about it, I never saw one, but it didn't work out.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Very good Snake, but this ain't the Kimball. I have seen a few of those and wouldn't shoot one for anything. They were short lived and are now rare guns.

The Auto Action is a conversion to a Colt Woodsman that replaced the slide with a fixed part with a round bolt inside. I have been told that it was made by King Gun SightCo. in the late 1940s but the only reference I can find is in Sutherland's Book of Colt Firearms which does mention that it has King sights.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Javlin, et.al.,

FYI, RUGER made a SA revolver in .30cal carbine.

I traded a .22LR H&R revolver & some dead presidents for one & after shooting a few boxes of FREE government carbine ball-ammo in it, I traded the Ruger for a NICE 1970s Gold Cup, which I also could get any amount of FREE ball for.
After that, I bought my current Sig-Sauer P225 that I could shoot for FREE, too.
(Can you tell that I really LIKE "free ammo"? = CHUCKLE.)

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Neat gun. I certainly haven't ever seen or heard of one.

There was another .30 auto pistol that didn't look anything like the one Snake remembered, or anything like the Woodsman conversion...the old AuotMag .30 carbine. Which shouldn't be confused with the .44 AutoMag.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Very good Snake, but this ain't the Kimball. I have seen a few of those and wouldn't shoot one for anything. They were short lived and are now rare guns.

The Auto Action is a conversion to a Colt Woodsman that replaced the slide with a fixed part with a round bolt inside. I have been told that it was made by King Gun SightCo. in the late 1940s but the only reference I can find is in Sutherland's Book of Colt Firearms which does mention that it has King sights.
I'm pretty certain that the accessory was developed around the time that King was bought out by Ricky Gun Sight. You can see a picture of a Woodsman so equipped on page 13 of the May 1956 issue of "Guns Magazine."

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another picture, since I can't find my May, 1956 issue of Guns Magazine:

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
So what's the supposed advantage of this contraption over the factory slide?

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
So what's the supposed advantage of this contraption over the factory slide?
The rear sight no longer shuttles back-and-forth during recoil. This is the same reason why High Standard went to bridge mounted rear sights for its competition pistols, and others mounted the rear sight on a rib fixed to the barrel. Of course, the Ruger Mk I didn't have this issue.

BTW: I mentioned the Guns article since it gives a timeframe for the part's introduction. The author of the article implies that it is a new development.

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/1956issues/G0556.pdf

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
What a pleasure to peruse that old gun mag. Just reading the ads was worth the time. It took me back to my childhood, sitting on my Grandpa's front porch, sipping on a Nehi Orange, and thumbing through his issues of American Rifleman. Every once in a while, he let me pull the handle on his shotgun press, and gave me a little chaw of Red Man (slightly stout for a four-year old, but his granddad probably showed him the same kindness).

"Will Colt Come Back?"..still unanswered after 57 years.

If anyone wants to cut to the chase, the King ad is on page 64.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts