Gun Hub Forums banner

New Acquisition

4K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  Charlie Petty 
#1 ·
No, not mine. I'm just the photographer.

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh, you are SUCH a tease!

Wish I could ID it, but I can't. But I have a feeling I've seen it before. It's not that .30 Carbine thing, is it? No, it looks more like a .22 blowback of some kind....

#8 ·
Very good Snake, but this ain't the Kimball. I have seen a few of those and wouldn't shoot one for anything. They were short lived and are now rare guns.

The Auto Action is a conversion to a Colt Woodsman that replaced the slide with a fixed part with a round bolt inside. I have been told that it was made by King Gun SightCo. in the late 1940s but the only reference I can find is in Sutherland's Book of Colt Firearms which does mention that it has King sights.

#9 · (Edited)
Javlin, et.al.,

FYI, RUGER made a SA revolver in .30cal carbine.

I traded a .22LR H&R revolver & some dead presidents for one & after shooting a few boxes of FREE government carbine ball-ammo in it, I traded the Ruger for a NICE 1970s Gold Cup, which I also could get any amount of FREE ball for.
After that, I bought my current Sig-Sauer P225 that I could shoot for FREE, too.
(Can you tell that I really LIKE "free ammo"? = CHUCKLE.)

yours, sw

#10 ·
Neat gun. I certainly haven't ever seen or heard of one.

There was another .30 auto pistol that didn't look anything like the one Snake remembered, or anything like the Woodsman conversion...the old AuotMag .30 carbine. Which shouldn't be confused with the .44 AutoMag.

Attachments

#14 ·
The rear sight no longer shuttles back-and-forth during recoil. This is the same reason why High Standard went to bridge mounted rear sights for its competition pistols, and others mounted the rear sight on a rib fixed to the barrel. Of course, the Ruger Mk I didn't have this issue.

BTW: I mentioned the Guns article since it gives a timeframe for the part's introduction. The author of the article implies that it is a new development.

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/1956issues/G0556.pdf

#15 ·
What a pleasure to peruse that old gun mag. Just reading the ads was worth the time. It took me back to my childhood, sitting on my Grandpa's front porch, sipping on a Nehi Orange, and thumbing through his issues of American Rifleman. Every once in a while, he let me pull the handle on his shotgun press, and gave me a little chaw of Red Man (slightly stout for a four-year old, but his granddad probably showed him the same kindness).

"Will Colt Come Back?"..still unanswered after 57 years.

If anyone wants to cut to the chase, the King ad is on page 64.

#17 ·
#25 ·
I remember when the Boys anti-tank rifles were common and cheap. They were re-barreled to 50BMG to get away from the destructive device label put on stuff over 50.

Even cooler was the 20mm Lahti Finnish anti-tank gun... it did have to be registered. A friend had one and back in the 60s ammo was only a buck and not hard to find. Now a round of original ammo is $25-50.

I though a buck a shot was outrageous but did shoot a few.

#26 ·
Javlin; Charley Petty,

FWIW, My uncle, who was the "acting COB" for the USS CHAMPION (for over 18 months) said that there was "A HUGE Marine Lance Corporal", who carried a Boys AT Rifle, by choice, as a "person weapon". - He said that he saw this Marine running up the beach & "firing that thing like it was a Springfield".

How much does one of those things weigh? (I've never seen one.)- From what my uncle said, it must be "a LOT".

yours, sw

#27 ·
To ALL,

MY first, SELF-purchased, "high powered rifle" was a MINT CONDITION 1893 Spanish Mauser long-rifle in 7x57mm. - I was a college freshman at UT/Austin at the time.
I paid $ 7.25 for it at (the LONG-GONE) GIBSON'S DISCOUNT CENTER in Longview, TX. - FYI, boxes of 20 rounds of non-corrosive hardball ammo were a buck each & "sometimes on sale" for 5 for 4 bucks, there.
(I plead "guilty as charged" to buying 20 bucks worth at a time, when it was 5 for 4 bucks, as I had a fraternity brother who would pull the FMJ bullet & replace it with a JSP for FREE, as long as I provided the bullets. - Forest P_______ actually ENJOYED reloading, which I do NOT.)

"GDC", as it was called, also used to sell "VG or better" SMLE rifles from AUS/NZ for FIVE BUCKS with boxes of .303 Brit for a buck, too.

Note: I reload because I'm "too cheap" to pay the price of commercial ammo.

yours, sw

#34 · (Edited)
Gun Digest had a sale last weekend. If you bought $50 in books, you'd get $25 off. In addition, I had a 10% off voucher that applied to the pre-discount total. To sweeten the deal, they were also running a free shipping promotion for the month of July. So, I snagged the 2016 Gun Digest and the 14th edition of Cartridges of the World for a grand total of just over $21.

Oh, and I just found this King's Colt National Match on YouTube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.