Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old one was only staying lit for 15-20 minutes at a time before I'd get a blue-screen message about a "bad driver in the kernel" or some such voodoo. So I bought a new one and a hard drive dock to get all my pictures, music, etc. off the old one.

What I've learned so far: I HATE Windows 8! Finally just downloaded AOL 9.7 which looks almost exactly like the AOL 9.5 I'm used to, so at least THAT looks familiar. Guess I'll be doing all my surfing in the AOL browser for a while, instead of the AOL AND Explorer 7 AND Firefox array I've been using to get by. At least everything seems to work fine in AOL on the new joint, which many things did not on the old one.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Just got my son his new "college" laptop a couple days ago. I too hate Windows 8! Of course, things are opposite in my house, I have to learn everything first so I can show him. :mad:

(Seriously AOL? I didn't even know they were still around).

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I think there's an app to make Win 8 emulate XP Pro.

I'm getting some random reboots too and a new machine may be in my future...

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I started getting viruses on the old PC and have become a MAC convert. I still have the old PC and after the last exorcism it has never seen the internet and works great.

That way I can do my writing in WP which I know so well, and positively love my old IBM keyboard

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
My 1911's all work flawlessly, but I'm gonna stick with the Jennings 9mm. Heck, those 1911's are expensive, and really, if the bullet comes out the far end, what's the difference?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I know I'm going to hell.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I too hate Windows 8 and spent two days putting 7 back on my system. Don't count on the 8.1 upgrade to go too far back to the Classic mode. I have heard it really doesn't. I told Windows how much I hate 8 and would not consider buying another computer if it has 8 on it....The application that is supposed to emulate XP (from what I heard) really doesn't. Believe me, before I make any other changes I will investigate VERY thoroughly.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Check with the places like Newegg. You can still order systems with W7 business does NOT use 8!
Geoff
Who is using 7 and needs to look at a new machine..maybe building one with W7....

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The irony is that after I get all my important files and data off my old computer, I'll be able to restore its original operating system back to Day One (doing so destroys files, though) and it will be "good as new." With Windows 7.

So I might set that one up in my basement man-cave, or just keep it around as a back-up spare. Would have to buy another monitor for it, though. I'll keep my ears open and I'll bet I can find a used one cheap from someone.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Xotic PC and a few other custom builders still do Win7 systems... I was actually pricing out some very nice "performance laptop" options and you'd be surprised what those guys will build you for $1500-$1750.

Not as cheap as Big Box Bullcrap, but the example I cited above has a three-year warranty with 24/7 phone support, and is likely beefy enough to still be ticking well after the warranty expires. (My current laptop was built eight years ago, and while it slows down at times the only reason its days are numbered is Micro$haft terminating XP support next year... granted, it HAS been through three monitors, three keyboards, two fan sets and two graphics cards, but it was made back when Dell still built GOOD systems to-order.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts