Gunhub.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am new to Garand collecting and had a question. I am restoring an older CMP Garand (SA Feb 1945). I was pretty lucky as all the major parts matched up with the production date. I have restored the correct op rod, sites and a few trigger assembly parts and I think I am about done. My question is related to the gas cylinder. This is an area I am having trouble finding info on. I want to make sure I have the correct gas cylinder. The one on the gun is a SA flat top wide base. It does have punch marks on the flat part of the ring (“W”) and the lug (“4”). Is this a pre March 1945 part? How can I tell if it is war time or post war?

Well I might as well ask about the gas plug too. I am pretty sure it is post war but I might as well ask. It is the cross type with P O markings. I have seen a hex referred too but I am pretty sure the punch mark is an “O”. What would the correct plug be for this gun?These things are pretty addicting. :D I am sure this won’t be my last. Thank you for any help.
Nick

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The correct gas cylinder should have a flat spot on the rear ring and a 9/16" wide sight mount. The PO is for the Henry Owens Co. and is correct for your rifle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts