Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working with Fred Wenig of Wenig Custom Gunstocks Inc. to produce the M1A stock set. We are looking for feedback from M1A owners in what features they are looking for. Here is what we have so far.
1) Offer the stock with or without a matching hand guard.
2) Offer the different fancy wood that Wenig is known for, such as Bastogne Hybrid Walnut and Maple.
3) Elimiate the selector cuts.
4) Make them thinner, not fat like the Boyds now being offered.

Any additional comments will helpful. Feel free to email me direct at [email protected]

Thanks, Dean
DGR-Dean's Gun Restorations

·
Registered
853 Posts
Dean, I think that you have it figured out, I would love to have a "fancy wood" stock without the cutout and without the bulk. I guess something to give it the structure needed for that long front end. regards

·
Registered
436 Posts
Agreed on all counts. I think they also have a choice of American or English Walnut. It may be worth trying some of both.
Glad you're here!
BT

·
Registered
729 Posts
Looking forward to some good looking maple on an M14 :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
wow verrrrynice ... thin contour, bastogne, no selector cut that would be sweet. or maybe maple w/ red stain :D

drop in? lined? bedded? all of the above?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I think you're on the right track, however, I realize I'm probably in the minority when I say that I like the heftier feel of the Boyd's stock. It's a great compromise between the USGI and a Match style stock. It also provides more room for inletting and bedding.

I would suggest that you also offer the beefier stocks, at an understandably adjusted price, for those that like the feel of a larger stock, without the bulk of a full blown match style stock.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I called them the other day about their "M1A scope stock" to see if they could make with the M14 buttplate instead of that commercial rubber one. Now THAT is a stock I would buy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
How about offering the option of the selector cut out for those of us that like to install dummy selectors for that authentic M14 look.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
117 Posts
Man......Your going to get swamped if this gets going.
I know where my next tax check is going.

Thin profile...Yes
Selector... Optional
Fancy Shmancy Wood...Oh Yea

·
Registered
135 Posts
You guys do understand that Wenig already sells M14 stocks don't you?

Dean does his special fitting and such but you can order them directly from Wenig. I can see some benefit if he has your rifle but you are probably better off doing it yourself if he doesn't.

I got a great Garand set from Wenig in English Walnut that shoots like a dream, she took a little bit of sanding to get her to lock up but that is it. Personally I'd rather work the stock myself anyway and if I save a few bucks so be it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I got a great Garand set from Wenig in English Walnut that shoots like a dream, she took a little bit of sanding to get her to lock up but that is it. Personally I'd rather work the stock myself anyway and if I save a few bucks so be it.
GeoffM24,
Got any pics of the English Walnut? I was trying to decide between that and American walnut.
Thanks,
BT

·
Registered
890 Posts
Dean,

You got it just right!

I will order a maple and a fancy walnut (with matching hand guards of course) as soon as you have them.

Slim, no selector cut, man oh man I'm in heaven! :lol:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Make darn sure they fit the most common commercial receiver out there (Sprinfield Armory) without a gap the heel, or provide enough stock in this area for subsequent fitting of the action.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Dean

I have to be very honest with you.

My wife is very pissed at you now.... :evil:

Good idea

1 - 20 of 30 Posts