Gun Hub Forums banner

New Model Cars I'd like to see...

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Mad Ogre 
G
#1 ·
Chrysler PT Cruiser the the New Hemi in it, and rear wheel drive.

Mini-Cooper with a Z06 Motor.

:twisted: :twisted:

#2 ·
Stunning fact: The PT Cruiser and the Prowler both share a common engine; the 4 cylinder POS from the Dodge Neon!!!! This engine is known to blow head gaskets with dismaying frequency. Dodge/Chrysler dealers in my area normally keep on hand over a dozen gasket kits for this particular motor because the demand is so high. Only way I'd have either of those cars with that motor is if they were given to me, along with a promise of free maintenance/repairs for as long as I own the vehicle. Now, put that Hemi in 'em, and that's a whole different ball game.

I'd like to see Nissan import their Skyliner. This is basically a two door Maxima with (IIRC) a 3.8L 24 valve DOHC 276HP engine.

#5 ·
OK, that is a big list. As the country with the most drivers, we have the crappiest selection of cars. OK, here it goes.

Ford Falcon and the Holden V-8's they run in the V-8 Supercar series in Australia.

Seat Cupra-R
Skoda Octavia and Fabia
Peugot 206
Citroen Xsara T4

All the above in a WRC kit-car format.

Ford Focus RS

Audi RS2

Any of the TVRs

Mazda Cosmo

Nissan Fairlady Z (300 Z to you and me) and Skyline GTR

Toyota Supra

Volkswagen R32

On the other hand I am really glad we finally got the Subaru WRX STI and the Mitsu Lancer Evo 8.

If you can't tell I really like forced induction. It goes back to owning a Celica All-Trac. The most fun I've ever had on four wheels.

#6 ·
Richard Jefferies said:
Fernando, the Bullit car driven by Steve McQueen was a Shelby Cobra. But we knew what you meant.
No Shelby in Bullitt.

There were actually two Mustangs used. They were both fastback 1968 four speed GT 390's in Highland Green. They were given to Warner Brothers directly by Ford. According to Max Balchowsky, the auto racer/car builder that worked on the cars for the film, the story went like this… "I suggested they get a 390 GT. I had suggested using a Mustang, and a Dodge Charger, or else there would be too may Fords in the picture. I thought we'd mix up the cars."

When it came to the modifications, Max knew the Mustangs were going to get a beating. He reinforced the shock towers, added crossmembers and other reinforcements, changed out the factory springs for after-market units with higher deflection rates and replaced the stock shocks with Konis. All suspension parts were magnafluxed and replaced where necessary. The engine actually saw little changes. He milled the heads, added an aftermarket high performance ignition system, reworked the carburetor and added a set of headers.

According to Steve McQueen one of the cars was disintegrating during filming from all the abuse it took. In a Motor Trend interview he said, "Remember that banging going down? That was about 100 mph. I was bangin' into Bill. My car was disintegrating. Like, the door handles came off, both the shocks in the front broke, the steering armature on the right front side broke and my slack was about a foot and a half. The Mustang was really just starting to fall apart."

One of the cars was so beat up from filming it was scrapped. The other, VIN 8R02S125559, was purchased by Robert Ross from Warner Brothers Film Editorial Department. The car changed hands again. In 1977 Steve McQueen offered to buy the car from the person who owned but was unsuccessful.

I have a wealth of info on this car. Been meaning to get a '68 GT 390 and turn it into a Bullitt car. Pretty hard tracking down a '68 fastback with a four speed and 390 engine that isn't rusted out or trashed.

#7 ·
Fernando --

That discussion reminded me of my first car (bought in 1982) --- a 1972 Mustang Fastback (non-Mach 1) in Candy Apple Red. We took the stock motor out and dropped in a 427 and I got a Mach 1 hood with the scoops. Ah-- those were the days!!

Ended up, the frame disintegrated and I sold it, and got a left over 1983 Renault Alliance (sic. AMC). Talk about a diametric change!!! :lol: Then in 1985 graduated college and bought a 85 Camaro IROC (LEMON!!). Sucker would do about 140 when it was not in the shop! :shock: :shock: :( I remember laying a streak of rubber on the interstate at 85 when a hemi cuda pulled along side and challanged me 8) . finally I got tired of it being in the shop to much (along with the tickets :p )

Mike

#9 ·
How about a retro Vette?

I'd like to see a new Vette with design cues taken from the '63-'67 version, but with modern updates in suspension, tire sizes, and engine management. Drop in the latest Z06 motor, add exhaust and a blower, stir, and bake anything that comes near it.

That's one new Chevy I'd actually pay money for.

#10 ·
Originally posted by mikegunner: "That discussion reminded me of my first car (bought in 1982) --- a 1972 Mustang Fastback (non-Mach 1) in Candy Apple Red. We took the stock motor out and dropped in a 427 and I got a Mach 1 hood with the scoops. Ah-- those were the days!!"

In '71 I had a 69 Mach I with the Windsor 351. A friend and I exchanged engines with a Mach I (same year, I think) with a Cobra Jet 428 (429? Memory's not what it used to be.). Anyway, my buddy was the mechanic. I was just his gopher. He said the shock towers took the change without mod and the big engine bolted right up to the ten-bolt top-cover 4 speed tranny. Exhaust manifold bolted right up to my pipes. I kept the 351 hood decals on the car and for the next two years I was on the prowl for Chrysler products around my little hometown in Florida. Had LOTS of fun. Two years later, I sold the car for $1600. What was I thinking? :?

#12 ·
PT Cruiser and the Prowler both share a common engine; the 4 cylinder POS from the Dodge Neon
sorry to disappoint you but the prowler did NOT use the 4cyl engine from the neon.

it used an all aluminum 3.5l V6. a bit hopped up (if i recall) from what was offered in the 300M, intrepid and concorde...

go ahead ask me how i know. because i work at the plant that built them...

david

#13 ·
ltdave said:
PT Cruiser and the Prowler both share a common engine; the 4 cylinder POS from the Dodge Neon
sorry to disappoint you but the prowler did NOT use the 4cyl engine from the neon.

it used an all aluminum 3.5l V6. a bit hopped up (if i recall) from what was offered in the 300M, intrepid and concorde...

go ahead ask me how i know. because i work at the plant that built them...

david
AND i used to own one- bought it wrecked at an auction in 2000 for $12k. chrysler V6 NOT a i-4. and a v-8 model was slated, but never happened. a 4.7 from the jeep grand cherokee can be shoehorned in fairly easily.

#22 ·
The new Ford F-150 Full Sized Bronco.
Just like they used to make, folding rear seat, two door, removable top.

I'd like an optional diesle engine based on the power stroke, I'd like factory installed beefy roll bars, off road lights, tow hooks and winch... Lockers, and of course 35" BFG AT or MT tires.
I'd also like to see a real expedition package on this new Bronco. Extended range fuel tanks, roll up canvas top as well, swing out tail gate mounted full sized spare tire, dual battery set up, GPS, Sat Phone, and Sat Radio as well. Throw in a bar-jack and snatch line too.

That's what I want.

And don't even call this the E.B. edition... No... this is the "Ogre Edition" Bronco.

Oh, and Ford - you can take out all those little black boxes too. I don't need any of that crap.

There we go. It might also be kinda cool to make the same thing - same set up and everything... but on the Ford Ranger platform too. Removable top and roll bars and everything.

Can you feel it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.