Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruger is shipping the new semi auto handgun that was introduced to the gun community at the NRA Show in Pittsburgh PA. Today, I got in the first one I have had and it truly surprised me. I personally have never liked the feel of the older P series of Ruger semi autos. They have always had a history of working well and being utilitarian but feeling "clunky" and "like a brick" (quotes of customers comments).

The new 345 features slilmmer profile and stainless steel slide with re-contoured polymer grip. With internal lock, magazined disconnect, loaded chamber indicator and camblock design. Slimmer contoured polymer frame and slide and well defined grip checkering. Plastic storage case, instruction manual, gun lock and two magazines. Uses the same magazine at the P90 and P97 which is P-16/8. Features Picatinny style accessory rail. Black polymer frame with checkered grip area. Stainless steel slide. Polish stain stainless finish. Dovetailed fixed white dot front sightand fixed two white dots rear sight.
MSRP is $540.00 but stret pricing would be much more affordable (probably in the $450 range)

I have not had a chance to fire this gun, and if I do fire it I will post a report here on Amback.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
855 Posts
I got to handle two at NRA '04 in Pittsburgh, and got to speak with the design engineer briefly. I agree that they did a good job at trying to reduce the typical "clunkyness" factor endemic to Ruger autos.

Mike, hopefully the production versions have better trigger pulls than the ones on the floor at the show. I was amazed they would dare to put out for the public something with such a heavy pull. And I don't mean heavy compared to, say, a SIG. I mean heavy even for a Ruger. I've handled P90s with far smoother and lighter pulls.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I can find my trigger pull gauge in the mess I have at my office I will try to get a weight on it. Double action it does feel a little heavy, but it is fairly smooth in single action mode. Previous Rugers I have owned have smoothed out after a couple of hundred rounds.

Mike

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yep, the older P Series are clunky

but reliable to a fault. My P89 has never failed to digest what I've fed it, from very light loads right through +P. I have to admit that it doesn't come out of the safe much anymore, but it certainly has been "Old Reliable", and at the time I believe I paid about $290 for it. 8)

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
I'm very interested to hear how it shoots. The P97's were noted for their accuarcy. Unfortunately, they are standard carry for the street punks and gang bangers in these parts.

Ed

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'll buy one in all black as soon as they arrive at "Outdoor America" store. Is this gun full size like the P97? I hope the 345 is more accurate than the P97 I used to own. What's with the nomenclature "345" ? Since Bill kicked the bucket, is Ruger going to start making a compact or a sub-compact in this particular model? And for the sake of all humanity, I hope Ruger doesn't make a version in the stupid 45 G.A.P. :evil:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mike-

Does the P345 have a loaded chamber indicator on the top of the slide? I saw a picture of one and it looked like it had something resembling an XD type of LCI but I'm not for sure..

How does the gun shoot? Is the gun full sized like the P97?

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quail,

Yes, the 345 has a loaded chamber indicator --- I think Ruger is putting that into ALL it's newly designed firearms. The new Ruger Mark III .22LR/.17HMR pistol has one also.
As to what they are thinking with the new nomenclature, I would guess they don't want these to be lumped in with the P series semi automatics in peoples minds!

Mike

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Master of the Obvious...

Just a guess here but... New and better sells. 345 and MkIII, suggest to me Ruger is emphasizing third generation guns.

Ed

·
Registered
12 Posts
I finally got the first one in my hands today. Unlike my P94 it appears sleek, felt lively, and looked good. It almost felt like a SIG in the hand. It was priced just under four and a half.

If it shoots as well as it looks Ruger may finally have something.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Loaded Chamber Indicator?

Are the "new" Loaded Chamber Indicators actually external extractors with fancy marking on them?

I seem to recall a Manurhin PPK/S with a red dot on the top of an external extractor.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I've got two of the new Mk III 22s and it is a lever located on the left side of the receiver. It is cleverly marked, "loaded chamber indicator" and has nothing to do with the extractor. It pivots and when a cartridge is in the chamber it exposes a red dot. Don't know about the centerfires.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Jury is still out on this one for me. I want to feel it in my hand and feel the trigger before I could even consider spending the money to load the thing and fire it.
I'm almost The Anti-Ruger when it comes to their centerfire autos... but if they slimmed and trimmed it... well... I'll keep an open mind.

350 to 400 range would be good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
New Ruger P345

Gentlemen,
I currently own a Ruger Vaquero .357 mag. w/ birdshead handle in stainless finish. I love this piece!
Now I'm looking for the new Ruger P345 pistol in .45 ACP. It looks great and it feels good in my hands although I've only held it in the gun shop. I like the sights and is easy for me to, "aim at target"
I'm interested in a, "Battle weapon" for lack of a better term. And I think this Ruger would fit the bill perfectly!
I am interested in differing opinions though. Now bear in mind price for the quality. I know Rugers may not be economical but I DO believe they are well worth their price because of the quality. There are less expensive guns out there but quality for the price, Ruger is very hard to beat!!
Thanks!

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
I got to hold/fondle one today. If felt great. The price was $429.00 for the R version with the rail. Hmm, maybe I'll put that 1911 ideal on hold, this could be a decent carry gun.

Ed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts