Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been reloading for a couple of years, so I'm asking....

I use Hodgdon Clays to load .45 acp, and 9mm. Both loads do what I want them to do, and I have a fair amount of powder on hand. I'm going to start reloading for .380 acp, and would very much like to continue to use Clays, but I cannot find any load data for Clays in .380 acp. Is there a SAFE way to develop a load using Clays for .380 ?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
When a powder isn't listed it is because it isn't suitable. In this case Clays is a very fast burning powder so that is probably why.

My suggestion is to call Hodgdon 1-800-622-4366 but if they tell you "no" believe it. Sometimes saving money is more trouble than it's worth :wink:

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hodgdon's burning rate chart indicates Clays is faster than Bullsye . . . but it also shows 700-X as faster than Bullseye, which is why its not a good idea to use burning rate charts to develop your own handloads. (Despite being "faster" on the chart, some load data I have shows larger 700-X charges than Bullseye charges for a given round; you wouldn't expect this if 700-X were actually "faster" when fired in a firearm.)

I'm still surprised that Clays isn't considered suitable for .380, but it is for 9mm P and .45 ACP. I would guess (note the word, GUESS) that Hodgdon or whoever else tried it saw something in the charge/pressure relationship they didn't like, and deemed it unsuitable for .380.

I personally wouldn't go off on my own and try to develop a load from scratch, when there are plenty of powders that multiple sources say ARE good choices; the risk/reward relationship is skewed the wrong way.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
[I would guess (note the word, GUESS) that Hodgdon or whoever else tried it saw something in the charge/pressure relationship they didn't like, and deemed it unsuitable for .380.
/quote]

That is a very good guess... exactly right in fact. In talking with guys in the labs there almost always was some sort of anomaly- most often erratic pressure or velocity results that disqualified something even if it was in a burning rate range that was ok for the cartridge/

Of course they aren't going to publish stuff like that but they have a reason for exclusion... count on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
usmcj said:
I've only been reloading for a couple of years, so I'm asking....

I use Hodgdon Clays to load .45 acp, and 9mm. Both loads do what I want them to do, and I have a fair amount of powder on hand. I'm going to start reloading for .380 acp, and would very much like to continue to use Clays, but I cannot find any load data for Clays in .380 acp. Is there a SAFE way to develop a load using Clays for .380 ?

Suggestions would be appreciated.
What did you end up doing?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts